Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 1 ton 2wd DW 454 auto trans=??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Sep 3, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

does anyone know what automatic trans they used for a 89 ext cab 2wd dually? i found one for a great price the guy said it has a bad trans. it has a 454 and i was thinking they couldnt possibly use a th-700r4 for a heavy application like that. would that be new enough for a 4l80e? or would it have a th400? he couldnt remember if it had over drive (sitting for a year and hes 80+ years old) the windows where tinted and his daughter had the keys so i couldnt look inside. a friend turned me to the truck and has litened to it and said there was a recipt in the glove box for a new gm 454 crate engine less than 20k miles. the old guys daughter also said it was replaced 6 months b4 the trans gave out. any help?

balzer

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Best way to tell, is to pop the hood....

Hmmm, 454? Yup....Great price? Yup....SOLD....

But really, just peak under it and look at the trans pan. You don't need keys to confirm what driveline it has :waytogo:

3. original balzer

DOH! (foreheadslap) i didnt even think to look. maybe cuz it has weeds all grown around it i think ill go look tomorrow. thanx

balzer

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't believe the 700R4's have EVER been put behind a big block stock, and that would be too early for the 4L80E, so it's gotta be a TH400.

First year of the 4L80E was 1991 I think.(?)

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

single wheel 89 one tons had a T400

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep. I've also *heard* that some low-GVWR 3/4 Suburbans and trucks got the TH400 in 1991, but that's unconfirmed (might have been 1990's or some such.)

-- A

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

My 89 ext cab dually has the common short tailhousing, bolt on yoke th-400. Would be real easy to find a replacement...

8. original balzer

AWESOME! thanx guys. i was gunna buy it regaurdless for $500 i cant loose. i didnt get a chance to go look at it again. but i figure it should have a th400.
    witch is great cuz its WAY cheaper than a damn 700r4 (or any other auto/overdrive) so it should be an easy/cheap fix and ill have a great tow rig

balzer