Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 1 ton cnevy-FREE- is it worth it with the bad drive tranes the had

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Sep 16, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

one of my customers is moving and told me i could nave the truck. it's 4x4,no engine,trans,or front clip. i remember alot of people baught them new and everything blew rear ends and engines,etc.i don't want to drag it home and go through hell mounting the rear end in J.R. just to have it go bad. what do you think? thanks o' guru's of the K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

make a trailer out of it.---- sell the cab and doors it would be to costly to fix it just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why the hell not? get it, pull the running gear, sell everything you dont need on here...get the title and sell it and the vin too...

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I would really like to see how many people blew up one ton rearends (14b or dana 70) in a stock style application with out some serious abuse. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have never ever heard of this complaint before. Why would half the people on this site go through the trouble of swapping one tone gear in if it was gonna break. Buy it, slam the axles in the blazer, and youll have bulletproof axles good for 40's.

5. boggerless

when chevy changed the truck in 88, they went with a whole new truck. I F front end and all.i don't know what happened except all new everything.i have three friends that bought one . one guy had 3 engines blow and a trans. the other friend had an engine,2 trans,and two rear ends.new style-let them work the bugs out. like i told a guy at work ,don't buy the new hemi- dodge, the same thing may happen. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Is this a standard cab? I thought Chevy still used the old style at least on the duallies until '91.....

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Are you positive this is a 1 ton? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been on this board for 2 years and could probably count the # of 14b that have been broken on one hand.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

If its the new style, its not a one ton. The one tons didnt change till 92. They kept the old body style and solid axles.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If its the new style, its not a one ton. The one tons didnt change till 92. They kept the old body style and solid axles.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, but that only applies to 1 ton crewcabs. The 1 ton regular and extended cabs came out with the new body style and IFS in 1988 along with the 1/2 & 3/4 tons.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Hmmm whoda thunk it?? Did that apply to C&C trucks too???Id swear our old 1 ton 4x4 was an 89, but it may not be. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It is very possible you could still order a 1 ton Cab & Chassis truck with the old body style during the change over years. I think I have seen a few government surplus trucks that fit that also. But the standard truck from the dealer lots were the new body...

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

C&C and CC trucks, both SRW and DRW remained unchanged through 91, while a newer style 1-ton was available starting in 88, both SRW and DRW and in extended cab as well. Free truck? Why not? Somebody will buy some parts off it, it's got a Dana 70 at the very least.

13. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    when chevy changed the truck in 88, they went with a whole new truck. I F front end and all.i don't know what happened except all new everything.i have three friends that bought one . one guy had 3 engines blow and a trans. the other friend had an engine,2 trans,and two rear ends.new style-let them work the bugs out. like i told a guy at work ,don't buy the new hemi- dodge, the same thing may happen. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you need smarter friends,or better stories.

14. boggerless

they did get smart and sell that junk. it's not a story,maybe tom got a lemon but jay had almost as much trouble with his. so you tell me something wasn't up.anyway i'm going to look at (probably take it ) saturday.that would be sweet if it had a solid front axle.he said it was pretty clean,we'll see though it is mich the salt state. thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

as far as an all new truck...the engines,transmissions,and rearends were not new in 88.the ifs that gm uses is not for rock crawling,but it is plenty durable.a 1 ton in 88 had a turbo 400 tranny,and 14 bolt rear in srw,and the engines,i wont even go into that.the bottom line is,if you buy a new truck,and blow three engines,a couple trannys,and a couple rear ends,it must be you.i had three 88-93 1/2 ton chevys,and i can tell you this,they arent made for wheel travel,but i have broken alot more axle shafts and u-joints in dana 44's and 10 bolts than anything in an ifs front end.the biggest "bug"i can think of with that new chassis was idler arm wear after about 35-40,000 miles.

16. boggerless

did you own a 3/4 or one ton? if these guys wuold give me permission for you to call them , maybe that would help you think i'm not BSing. i never had a 88 or up chevy, mine have been 79 and down. they told me they broke ,thats why i asked you guy'sif it was worth it to take the truck remember?so is to you ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. boggerless

also 3car, do you know that works at the big three. my dad retired out of G.M. on the assembly line they have parts pens. one for bad parts , if they run out of good parts they have to put in bad parts. it's cheaper to have a recall than to shut the line down.just because it's new doesn't mean it's not junk.bad clip,bad bearing,etc.people used to put bottle caps in the door for the rattle no one could find. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    people used to put bottle caps in the door for the rattle no one could find. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ha-ha.thats funny.that reminds me of the time i dropped 1/2 inch ball bearings down in the door of my buddys truck.he had to ride around for two weeks before he could get them out.he repaid me by hiding a froze chicken in a kitchen cabinet before we went camping for the weekend.i guess he won that round.

19. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I think their big engine problem then was they had just put TBI on the big blocks and they ran very very lean. I had an 88 that blew up with 80,000 on it and an 89 that made it through, but I had a different chip put in it. If you pulled alot and did not get the lean condition addressed you would crack pistions. By 90 they had TBI thing figured out and it was OK. As for the trannies the only guys I knew that had problems was in 92 when the NV4500 came out and folks would put regular 90wt in them and they take a synthetic gear oil.
    By the way the 88 was a crew cab old style
    the 89 was an extended cab new style. Both duallies with manuals

20. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    boggerless... wheres the truck at? If you don't want it I just might.