Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 3/4 Burb, the 350 has a pilot bearing installed? TH400 trans...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 27, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Well the title says the important stuff... but here it is. I've just pulled the 350 out of my 89 Burb. I now notice that the crank (1 piece rear seal) has a pilot bearing installed. I find this VERY odd seing as Burbs don't have manual transmissions behind them... nor do you need a pilot bearing for a TH400. SO... whats the deal? I am just wondering how the heck my motor got a pilot bearing installed in it. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Dan

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Are you sure its the original motor? Maybe someone swapped it in?

3. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure its the original motor? Maybe someone swapped it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, if this motor was swapped in... it was done carefully. Every bolt and every harness was in its place. I've never met a motor that had been swapped, and put back like this one, if thats the case.

Anyone know if pilot bearings were installed regardless of application in the one piece rear main cranks???

-Dan

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Burbs did indeed use manual trannies. My buddy has an all stock burb that has an SM 465/NP 205 slip yoke.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

They are rare but manual tranny Subs are out there, I have a friend that has a 90 Sub 4wd that came with a TBI 350/465/241.

6. KRAZIE87K5

Problem being... mine is a TH400! There is no hole in the carpet, and there is no other sign of the 465 ever being present in the truck, other than the PILOT BEARING.

The question is... why is there a pilot bearing in my crank? I've got a TH400... and a pilot bearing. Doesn't make any sense. I wish the Burb had a 465 in it... I was looking at the 465 on the floor in the garage the other day (from my K5 that has no motor at the moment) thinking it might fit nicely into the Burb! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But thats not going to happen. I don't feel like sourcing an entirely new powertrain for the K5. No thanks.

-Dan

7. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

No problem... depending on which plant the engine was built in, they ALL have pilot bearings in them..
    --
    Its safer and easier for GM to just install a $1 pilot bearing in all the cranks, than miss one when needed...
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

Not that I am doubting your info here at all... but how do you come to that conclusion? Are you speaking from experience, or guess-ti-mation? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif That would make for an excellent explanation... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the professor has a good point... gm has done that sort of thing in the past, and still does today, as do most major manufacturers, easier and cheaper to install a pilot bearing... or extra wires for other things like foglamps, etc.... its possible and understandable...