Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 3/4 help please

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by bigreid, Apr 1, 2002.

1. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

\'89 3/4 help please

Guys I need your help! I am going to look at an 89 3/4 with 80,000 on it. Do all those have the tow package? I really want one with all the coolers (tranny, engine oil, etc.). Also, does that year only come with the 400 series transmission or did they put any 700R4 trannies in them? If there is any other important information or things for me to look at please let me know. I am looking for an 89, 90, or 91, if one year is better than another please let me know. I may buy this one tonight.
    You all are the experts, thanks in advance for your help!
    Adam

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: \'89 3/4 help please

3/4 ton should have the TH400, my dad has a 90 with this in it.
    I know he has the tranny cooler, haven't looked for oil cooler or anything on it yet.

Oh yeah make sure you get the dual headlight model grill, the other ones are ugly,LOL/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the Tow package, but I can tell you my '90 Sub only has the tranny cooler in the radiator and some metal lines that run underneath my radiator to cool the powersteering. There is no oil cooler either. Mine also has the T400 but the shifter has the pattern for an overdrive tranny so I don't know if someone else changed trannies on me. Don't forget to check and see if the frame has cracked behind the steering box and drive it in 4wd to make sure it works. Good luck.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my 89 3/4 ton has a th400 in it and a oil cooler, tranny cooler and power steering cooler. don't know about a tow package, but mine would tow anything you could hook up to it before i got 36"s.

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I believe the 91s came with the 4L80 heavy duty OD transmission. I personally think they are the tightest of the square body series..
    JB

6. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 4x4 1/2 ton Burb 350/700r4 set up. I never noticed a tranny cooler, but i do know i have a factory oil cooler /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Big ass hitch in the back too, looks like its always been there.