Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89,90,91 owners with 4" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, May 9, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

89,90,91 owners with 4\" lift

is there an issue with my driveline length? i put a superlift 4" on about a year ago, and it seems that ever since then, i hear a jangly kinda noise when i deccelerate, or at nuetral throttle.
    i thought it was the R&P going out, but i just put in a complete 12b, and the noise is still there.
    any guesses?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: 89,90,91 owners with 4\" lift

Did you drop your t case at all? Mine does the same thing but I have my case dropped.

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

"jangly" does that sound like a pipe being dragged on the road? Cause I get the same exact sound when coasting and decelerating. I'll follow this post to see what other people say. I have an 85 on a 6" lift with an extened driveshaft. The guy that built my DS said its vibration in the shaft. I tried to shim my rear axle to improve the angle but the noise is still there.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have an 89 3/4 ton suburban with a 4" and i don't get any jangly sound. i wouldn't be able to hear it over the TSLs anyway.

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

try dropping the t-cass, i used to get that noise type af deal and when i droppeped my t-case i went away,l and then i blew up the carries in my ten bolt, swapped in a 1-ton 14 bold and i've never heard that noise again. also when you drop the t-case you might have to have a new peice lowered on the x-over pipe on your exhaust. btw mine is a 91

6. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I have an 89 Jimmy with 6 inch lift and T case dropped 1 inch, before installing a cv driveshaft from Arizona driveline I had this exact same problem.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I sure do... I always thought it was my rear end because I did my lift and axles at the same time. But I had kinda wondered if it was the tcase or something... I dropped my tcase using the factory spacers and I also have an extended driveshaft. If you find out what it is please be sure to tell me as it's very very annoying.

Since I do have an extended dshaft though I'm thinking about raising my tcase back up and seeing if it still does it.

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i hear that sometimes too but i dont think its the t-case. when i first lifted the truck i dropped it just to see the diff. but like someone said it will put your front drive shaft on the exhast pipe crossover (unless your exhast it modified) so after a couple months i put it back up and have still heard the sound. its a 89 with 4"s

9. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with my 84, and it started the day I added my 4 inch lift. I have since lengthen the driveshaft, and it still does it. I refuse to lower my t-case because I don't want to lose any ground clearence. I have heard before that a slip yoke elimenator kit will solve this problem because it is something to do with the slip yoke, but I have an np-208 and there is no kit made for mine, your 91 on the other hand since it has a different t-case can get a slip yoke kit. If it makes you feel any better though, I drive 60 miles a day on the freeway at around 80mph for about two years now, and I have never had anything go wrong or break, I simply apply the brake a little bit before I let off the gas and the noise goes away.

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Wow... up around 65 mine gets to where the whole blazer just shakes and the noise is really bad. I can't imagine doing 80 like that.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't think that the longer driveshaft will make much difference. It sounds to me like we are all in need of c/v shafts. That noise and vibration comes from the bad operating angles of the u-joints in the shaft associated with taller suspension. Dropping the case helps, shimming the rear end up helps, but only a c/v shaft will completely eliminate it. Mine does the same thing between 65-80mph but any faster or slower it doesn't do it. Just my $.02

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

lol, I have an interestin perspective on this. I have a '76, 4 inch rRancho, and t-case dropped an inch. Mine makes the exact sound ya'all are describing, BUT it didn't do it till after I drooped the t-case. LOL, But I know what it is. On mine it's the e-brake cable clanging on the tail housing of the t-case. Only when decelerating and while idling. If I depress the e-brake a couple clicks, it stops. Try that and see what happens. It took me aloooooong time to figure that one out. Good luck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif