Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Blazer and tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cars, Mar 15, 2000.

1. cars

cars Registered Member

For some reason now my tailgate will not open from the inside when I pull on it. Closed tigher then a crab's ass! Simply fix and where do I look for the problem exactly? It also has a rear power window.

2. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Every BLAZER I have seen you have to push in on the gate when you pull the handle. Hope its that simple.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

3. cars

cars Registered Member

Tried it and it does'nt work. It just most of broke this past week.

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Are you saying that you "can" open it while reaching in through the back (with the window down)? Or are you trying to open it from inside without the window FULLY down?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

PRETTY SIMPLE..UNDO THE SCREWS THAT KEEP THE REAR DOOR COVER ON...FROM THE HANDLE THERE SHOULD BE TWO STEEL RODS, IF THE HANDLE HAS BROKEN..JUST PULL THE RODS INWARD AND LET IT DOWN.(ALSO RODS OR PARTS MAY HAVE BENT THEN JUST BEND THE ROD TO BECOME SHORTER) IF THE DOOR LOCK(S) HAVE BROKE YOU'LL HAVE TO REACH YOUR ARM IN AMD FIND THE TAB TO SWITCH. YOU MAY HAVE TO HAVE SOMEBODY TO HELP YOU PULL OR PUSH. GOOD LUCK.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Had similar problem when I first bought our '87 K5 - closed and no tailgate handle to open it. As Bigrig said, I accessed the tailgate internals and manipulated the rods while my son pushed on the tailgate. Only had to move the rods 1/2 inch and gate was free.

7. cars

cars Registered Member

Ok we will try today sometime. Raining now hopefully it will clear up today.

smile

8. KP3100

KP3100 Registered Member

It's just like a tailgate in a truck take the cover off on the inside a pull the two rods to the center and it should open.