Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Blazer K5 Balljoint Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FrontMed, May 24, 2005.

1. FrontMed

FrontMed Newbie

My son (who is highly mechanically inclined but awfully impatient at times) has undertaken to replace the ball joints on his '89 blazer -- a project which neither he nor I knows the first thing about.

So far, it isn't going well. He has pounded on the top spindle of the ball joint ad nausem without it so much as moving. He purchased a tool (a "fork") that was supposed to help get it out, but still, no joy.

Is there some tried and true method for doing this that he is overlooking, or is this the reason they charge an arm and leg for doing this?

TIA for any suggestions.

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

There is a large c-clap looking tool that makes it very easy for ball joints and ujoints. You will need a special socket to intsall the upper ball joint sleeve. I got mine from snap on, if you search you can find a part number.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004148/showCustom-0/p-2004148/N-111+10201+600003587/c-10101

It was a good investment for me anyway I have used it countless times on ball joints, ujoints, compressing leaf springs, installing/removeing leaf spring bushings and a number of other things.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

As for the special socket for the adjustor: Parts Mike has the best price i have seen http://www.partsmikeparts.com/ball_joint_adjuster_tool.htm, or your can make your own with a grinder and a $5 socket from somewhere like HF
    for the press tool, you can rent them from autozone ($99 +tax) and then get the full refund when you return it (you keep it as long as you want), they also come in handy when you're changing Ujoints (may want consider doing the front ujoints while you have everything torn apart now, 3 out of 4 times they need the service)

5. FrontMed

FrontMed Newbie

Thanks everyone for these replies.

He's on his way to autozone now (if he can rent it, that's good -- I have a feeling he may not be doing this again ...) LOL.

Thanks, again...

FM

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Have him take a look at this ball joint write-up.
    And as mentioned before the special socket for the sleeve for the upper ball joint can be made out of a 13/16 deep socket.