Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Blazer stumbling, dieing, when cold ****FIXED******

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I got a new motor put in the blazer about 10 months ago. Since then, this problem has gotten worse day after day after day. Now it's REAL bad. When the weather is cool the truck won't run for CRAP till it's warmed up. It doesn't exactly stumble so much as it acts like the fuel just get's shut off. Takes forever to get it restarted then when it does, it will either run for a few seconds or backfire through the tailpipe. If I can make it run long enough to get it warm them it will run good.

Any help? I'm getting no codes and am thinking of getting a new fuel pump and filter tonight. Fuel pumps only take about 10 minutes for me to change, but I really don't want to spend the coin if that's not it.

*******UPDATE*******

I got it fixed, you know a distributer broke in half will REALLY slow things down /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New distributer later and it runs like a top /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel much better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 89 Blazer stumbling, dieing, backfireing through tailpipe when cold

Ya sounds like your Air to Fuel ratio is off. Could be eather way, a vacume leak with that cool air getting sucked into the intake or like what your thinking that your fule pressure is low and not getting enough fuel to keep the cold block running??????
    Good luck
    Burt

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Good to know I'm not the only one thinking along those lines. I've all but ruled out vacuum, I can't find any leaks, but there may still be a few. Can't think of where else I would look though.

I"m kinda hung up on fuel pressure. It seems logical, but I've been logical before, didn't work out like I hoped /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Heres a few other common parts to look at
    EGR
    EGR SOLONOID
    IAC
    TPS
    MAP SENSOR
    FUEL FILTER
    FUEL PUMP
    CAP ROTOR WIRES SPARK PLUGS
    TBI GASKET
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I CHANGED ALL THESE PARTS JUST TO FIND THAT A VAC HOSE HAD A HOLE IN IT . Start looking at all your vac hoses and with the truck running spray some wd-40 around the base of your TBI and see if the idle changes .If so it could be as simple as a gasket .Also check to see if it's throwing any codes.......

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Got no codes and everything on your list is new except for the egr sol., the fuel pump, and the O2 sensor.

Maybe an O2? Hadn't thought of that one yet...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Kyle,
    Man you are fawking contagious /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, the wife's 2000 Nissan truck is doing the same thing. I replaced the cap and bug today to see if maybe that was it. I am wating til tomorrow morning to see the results. I have no codes either, runs like shat when it is cold, no power, dies, and won't restart. When it wrms up it runs great, I will let you know if I find anything obvious or find the problem.

Krennen

7. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

Kyle,

One thing to look at is the ECT sensor up front near the water neck for the upper radiator hose on the intake. It controls fuel rich/lean depending upon engine temp. It might be thinking that the engine is warm all the time, giving the ECM a false reading. Just unplug it afer you initially start it and see if it smoothes out or not. I've seen a few vehicles with bad ECT sensors before when I was an auto tech in a shop. Just something to check before doing a fuel pump.

Doug

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Did a fuel pump last night. It didn't fix the problem, but I needed a new one anyway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The difference in starting the truck is amazing. The only problem, the truck still won't run. Stuttered and stumbled all the way to work, even after it had warmed up.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

for these motors the most important sensors are:

CTS (coolant temp.)
    MAP

I would FIRST verify thatall those are good...then look into a bad or leaking injector...Just systematicallly go through each system on the engine...Start with the fuel then spark then go to driveability sensors like CTS, EGR, MAP, TPS, IAC, etc...

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

What's the best way to verify that those are all good? I have WinALDL, but to be honest, I don't know what I'm seeing half the time...

I'm getting no codes, but I know that that doesn't always mean much. I'm also thinking that I've lost my cabel for WinALDL, does anyone have one I can borrow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is approaching last straw point for me... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Haven't run winALDL to see what all it has in it.

Coolant temp should be a no brainer though, If the engine hasn't been run, and the ECM is reporting either 250* or -20*, you know there is a problem, likely with the sender. Same with it hot. If you know the engine is approx. 195*, and it reads 250* or -20*, you know the sensor is probably bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seems to be a fairly common occurrence resulting in driveability issues. Since you've got winALDL, find that cable, and check it out! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you own the manual for the truck as well? (service) That's also invaluable when doing diagnostic work, as you know, if you have the data, but can't understand it, it's doing you no good.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Got er fixed UPDATE!!

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Geez Kyle /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I don't break stuff easy ya know. When I do it, by GAWD I'm gonna do it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. SkulzNBonz

Tell me about it, you should have seen the "stuff" in the bottom of my tranny pan. No wonder it sounded like a coffee can full of rocks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

John

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When I blew my tranny, I pulled the pan and it was 1/2" deep in metal. Got it to the shop and the guy took one look and said that was the entire guts of my T/C /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was quality bits and pieces /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you call Alan?

17. SkulzNBonz

Haven't called him yet. Know a couple guys here local that have and/or work at tranny shops. I'm gonna get estimates/warranty info, and then make a decision. Thanks again. What did yours cost, five bills if I remember correctly?

John

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Ballpark yep. I don't really remember to be honest, I was under a lot of cold medicine induced trauma at the time, heck, alan was GIVING me cold medicine while he was working on my tranny. I was OUT. I do remember having to do a little work around the shop to help pay the bill though, and not leaving there (or letting him leave) till my tranny was done at around 10:00 that night. Stood there for 10 hours watching the guy work. Rebuilds 700R's from memory. Just know's his stuff, blew my mind...

19. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

glad to hear you fixed it, but would you mind telling us how you fixed it? Because my freshly rebuilt 350tbi (355 now) with vortec heads is doing pretty much the same thing as you described so I was hoping you could give some insight as to what was wrong. I have no clue where else to look since I've just about replaced everything on the motor with the exception of the injectors.

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Had to get a put a new distributer in. It started off real small then worked it's way to GAWD awful proportions. This morning was a full on NIGHTMARE getting to work. Not to mention that it pretty well burned the #5 and #6 plug boots into little piles of rubber goo.

I took it this morning to a shop and they got all excited because they had just spent a TON of money on a new scanner and diagnostic machine. They got it all hooked up and the machine worked for a few seconds then said ***MISFIRE*** I about hit the floor laughing. We did some reasoning and looking and decided to check the entire distributer unit. Sure enough, it was trashed. Everything that was "external" was new so....