Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Blazer - what to look for in a ROLL BAR?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spin2win, Jan 18, 2007.

1. spin2win

spin2win Registered Member

Ok, so a local scrap yard has a K5 roll bar on craigslist for $50. I have an '89 Blazer an I want to know what I need to look for when I go look at this. The only thing the scrap yard could tell me is that it is out of a late 80s K5, he thought. The yard is about 2 hours round trip from me so I want to be prepared when I get there.

I've never put a RB in a rig before, so any one out there have advice?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if it's a stock roll bar it's going to be good, but I don't know of a stock bar for 76-91 blazers.
    The one thing you don't want is a roill bar made rom some thin tubing.
    Look at the finish and the radius on the bar, if it has kinks or doesn't look professionnaly built walk away.
    Unfortunately there is no way to check the thickness and it's very hard to tell you how heavy it should feel when you carry it.
    I know mine was not light. :D I had one factory in my 74

3. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

if it's not in the truck try to find out what year it came from. becuase don't forget that they changed how high the floor was behind the front seats when the flip and fold rear seat was started. can,t remember what year that was offhand 78? anyway because of the difference i had to made boxes to mount my 75 bar into the 89 tub.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. 83k5blzrbob

83k5blzrbob Registered Member

Sorry to bump in on this forum, but had a question for SKYYK5 that is rollbar related. Did you cut and replace your windshield fram with one from an earlier model or did you change out tubs?

I'm looking to do this swap and was curious as to the difficulty and installation of a roll bar. Did you make your own, or swap in a pre 76.

Again, sorry, and thank for any input.