Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by captain.funk, Jan 29, 2002.

1. captain.funk

captain.funk Newbie

hello there.. i am looking at buying a friend's 89 K5.. he has had it sitting in his driveway for about 3 months - he replaced it last october with a newer truck. he is towing it to a mechanic to be looked at today, because he thinks it is possible that it has a problem with the fuel pump (it runs, but "not well" according to him). It has new hubs/tires, about 150k miles, and the top has never been removed. The kicker is that he only wants about $1200 or it. First of all, is there anything (scheduled maintenence, common mechanical problems, etc.) that I should be on the lookout for? And also, if the mechanic doesn't find anything major that needs to be fixed(i.e. besides the fuel pump), does this sound like a good deal? I have fairly good experience with engine repair (in high school i had a 86 jimmy 2.8l that needed constant attention), so could fix most minor problems.

thanks!
    jason young

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I would be less concerned with mechanical than I would be with the condition of the body- it may look "cherry" from the oustide, climb under it, if you can--- ask him if you can take the front carpet on the drivers side up- --where your left foot would rest- check that spot for some major rust!... and under the truck- where the seats are bolted, right there, major rust place! The other thing- the inner fenders- those I'm sure will be shot.... in the rear of the truck- drop the tailgate if you can, and pull up that part of the carpet-- 99% guarantee its going to be rusty...

now dont get me wrong,I'm not saying mechanical problems are overlooked, but body work is quitet time consuming..and not everyone can do it.... My K5 is a 86, and has had its floors, front and rear, and the back, behind the seats replaced/repaired. I also had to put new inners/outters fenders, and doors on. I still need my rocker's replaced, but they are getting done when the truck goes to the beautician in April... all told I probably had 2k in the fenders/doors... because they are GM products, not aftermarket... and about close to 1K in the labor/body work to replace the floors. it was worth it- because now the truck doesnt, and wont ever have any rust again!...

good luck!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. OBXK5

OBXK5 Registered Member

I have a '89 K5 not unlike the one you are considering. I have had it for roughly 5-6 years and have logged nearly 100k miles. When I bought it it had about 80k miles, and now I am getting close to 180k. I have certainly got my money's worth. Here's a couple things that I have had to do:
    1. New radiator and heater core at about 120k miles
    2. New front hubs at about 105k
    3. The transmission was rebuilt at about 75k before I bought it, but it needed a new torque converter at 125k. This was the most significant item since I have owned it.
    4. New starter at about 130k

Items to watch:
    Rust is going to be a major concern as another poster mentioned, but it all depends upon your locale. My K5 has spent all its life in North Carolina and has only one spot of rust which is due to the top leaking slightly.
    The rear gov-loc limited slip will go bad at some point. It then leaves shards of metal floating about that can tear up the diff. I have been lucky with mine, but definitely something to check out. If it is supposed to be a limited slip, and it doesn't work, make sure the gear oil is clean.

Lastly, my K5 was re-painted under warranty just before I bought it so it looks great. GM did have lots of paint problems in these years.

Hope this helps. Overall, if rust is not an issue, sounds like a great deal.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

For $1,200 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.. My 89 is about to turn 100,000 miles.. and it run's sooooo good. And I paid $4,600 for mine.. and it needs some work with the interior.. no rust, no serious problems..
    Do yourself a favor and Buy It

Hope this didn't sound rude or offend you.. i'd be all over this like stink on sh*t. [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would buy it in a second for $1200. I payed almost $9000 for My 89 K5 in 1999. Of course it only had 50,000 orginal 1 owner miles and looked like it just came off the showroom floor.
    It has been a great truck the only real problem i'v had was a bad heater core and the POS auto hubs which I replaced with manual hubs.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I drive an 89.....unless this thing is ate up with rust, I'd be on it like a Pit Bull on a Pork Roast......

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I've had my '89 for 15 months and love it. I got it with 216k miles on it It now has 225k. as far as I can tell the tranny and radiator were replaced at around 200k. My major problem was the rust under the seats. Got that fixed and put new ball joints, hubs, u-joints and stub shafts on about 3 months ago. Now i figure I'll do a new moter and tranny this summer and lift it next summer. If I didnt need it as a dailey driver I'd probably lift it first but....oh well. This weekend I put my new rocksliders on , not that I need em they just look good. And Ive got all new auto-meter guages to kill some time with during the winter. Oh yeah I paid 4800 and the people whove seen it say thats a deal even with the floor rot. The bodys in great shape.

I'm not late im on Central Standard Time