Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Burb and 33's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigreid, Feb 11, 2003.

1. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

89 Burb and 33\'s

I know this has probably been beaten to death and I have asked a ton of people and am getting many different answers so I thought I would ask the experts.
    I have a 1/2 ton 89 burb no lift pure stock. I currently have 31.10.5.r15 tires. I found 33.10.5 r15 tires and am thinking of putting them on I have the following list of questions, please help.
    1) Will the 33" tires rub? (normal road use)
    2) What will they do to my shift points?
    3) Will there be added stress to my u-joints and 700r4 transmission?
    4) Is it a dumb idea for the average guy who doesn't go looking for mud but would like 33's for looks and fuel efficiency?
    5) I tow a boat everyday in the summer, would the larger tire stress the tranny even more?
    I like the narrow tire because I drive on a lot of snow and ice in Alaska and they perform much better than wide tires.
    Thanks for the help,
    Adam

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 89 Burb and 33\'s

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=599773&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=575959&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I drive mine daily. They do not rub. They did not rub the last time I went out wheeling, which used (IMO) the maximum amount of flex my truck was capable of.

They will not affect shift points, thats based on throttle position/RPM. Of course, the tranny will be shifting at the same RPM, but it won't be at the same *speed*. Change the transfer case driven gear and all will be good, as your odometer/speedometer will be correct.

If you have 3.08 gears (it's one of the "G" codes on the glovebox RPO sticker) don't do it.

If you have a 700R4, don't do it unless you have 3.73's IMO. 465 is fine with 3.42's, MAYBE 3.08's.

The BFG AT's have very stiff sidewalls, and thus are pretty strong. Daily driving is decent, they don't seem to flex in turns too much. Tread life is excellent. Traction in snow is fair to good compared to other AT's I've had/driven with.

The BFG 33's are available in MT as well, guaranteed to be much better in deep snow, but ice, the AT's should be better, at least slightly. (more rubber contact with the ground)

I think the 33x10/5R15's are the best way to go to get a bit more lift, but more importantly, fill up the wheelwells without the tires sticking out the sides of the truck.

You'd have to match the 700R4 to the tires shift-wise...don't lug it, and make sure it stays cool in the summer. I'd still say no way on a 700/3.08/33" combination in any case.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea' ill be straight, i have 33's on my 87 shortbed they are 12.50 wide /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, they came with the truck, i have the 465 and 3.08 gears, works good acctually, but with a sub and a 700r4 yud probly kill the trans, imo. and i dont use it to pull a boat, its just a DD\mud truck, personally i think it is set up well with 3.08's anything else i would think to be a buzz kill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but then i've never had diffenrt gears in the truck.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

I Ran my 89 Blazer stock with 33x12.5 for years with out much trouble with the 700R4 I did have to replace the tranny but I don't blame the tires cause that died after I had 4.11 installed. I had no rubbing or anthing so with 33x10.5 I theink you would be fine I would get a good tranny cooler and by pass the radiator one regardless. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif