Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 Burb Barn Door Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ztruke, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ztruke

ztruke Newbie

Bottom of barn doors are rusting out. Need to remove doors to effect repairs but don't know how best to go about it. The hinge pins have been painted over and are not responding to paint scraping and hammering. And I'm hesitant to remove the six threaded bolts that connect the door to the hinges for fear of alignment problems upon reinstallation. I've fabricated an "easel" of sorts (from a step ladder) which will hold the door in proper position, but I'm very unsure how best to remove the door........hinge pins, or bolts. I'm not afraid to get aggressive with the hinge pins if that is the way to go. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you CAN NOT remove the pins from the door short of a grinder that is.

your going to have to pul the bolts, if you worryed about alinement use a paint marker of permenant black marker and mark a line across the hinge plate and the jam,

that way when you go to bolt it bacl up you knoe where to put it.

3. ztruke

ztruke Newbie

Thanks for the info. I will remove the bolts as recommended and make sure their position is clearly marked beforehand.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont lose the shims!!

There is likely to be some shims between the hinges and the body,they can fall out when the bolts are loosenned,try to keep them together so you wont have to geuss how many went on which hinge,it makes getting the doors realigned a lot easier---the paint or marker trick is a good way to keep things aligned,usually its very apparent where the hinge was,the paint will be like new under it most likely!--
    One old timer bodyman I knew would drill a 1/8 hole thru the hinge and the body BEFORE he removed or loosenned any bolts,IF the doors looked aligned and shut good,so he could use that hole as a reference point to go by--line up the hinge and hole with a awl or punch,and your right where it was before.....:crazy: