Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 Burb... does this truck have clearcoat from the factory?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 18, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

\'89 Burb... does this truck have clearcoat from the factory?

I've got an 89 Burb that doesnt seem to have any clearcoat on it. The paint had a dull finish, and after polishing a small section of the paint... I noticed that the PAINT was coming off on my rag! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I need help. What do I do with this? The truck has no finish on it at all... and being in IL... it won't hold up to the elements unless its sealed. Is my only choice to get the damn thing painted???? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Re: \'89 Burb... does this truck have clearcoat from the factory?

i bet cher clear coat came off along time ago.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Ah have no fear, cars were painted many many years without clear coat. The color transfer your seeing is the oxidized paint coming off with the polish. If you dont want to paint it now there are some very good polishes and waxes that will help prevent further oxidation and help retain your color. otherwise painting is the next step, if you can make it out until the end of summer or so you can paint it at my place. while i dont have a spray both persay i have a garage and all the goodies to do so ie. guns, freshair system, and a big ass compressor. i should be painting mine in a few weeks.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my 86 has been repainted once its past and it looks like there was clear coat...theres some spots on it were the paint its really nice..and then there are spots were theres just rust lol. the paint ive heard un these years though was not that great at all..and ull see a lot of these trucks with peeling paint if you look around if it's origional paint on them.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I am open for ANY and ALL suggestions on what types of waxes, polishes, etc. to use on this poor truck until I can get it painted. Right now, I still need to get the motor in it... but once thats done, I would really like the big damn truck to at least look good if nothing else.

I'll get some pics this afternoon, and post them up. Anyone with crazy paint skillz... PLEASE give me suggestions what to do here in the mean time!

-Dan

PS: Rugger, thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on that offer! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We'll have to talk about that! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would have thought that an '89 would have clearcoat since I know GM used clearcoat on the new style pickups in '88 and my '90 K5 has factory clearcoat.

The paint color on the rag when waxing is quite normal for a non-clearcoat paint that hasn't been waxed for awhile. As already mentioned it's just the old oxidized paint. I would recommend starting with a "cleaner wax" until all of this oxidation is gone.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

What to use, I wool pad and a mild cutting agent such as 3m micro finish and low rpm would be my first choice, but if the paint is to far gone or you dont know what your doing you will "burn" through it and have nothing left. Believe it or not New finish car polish(sp) in the orange bottle has some serious cleaners and it works pretty well buy hand it also restores the color. I would then follow up with a good carnuba based paste wax that has UV protection in it. My favorite is collinite fleet wax for protecting fiberglass tops and negected paint. There are a truck load of things you can use and there are no right or wrong answer. For my customers i use the least avasive products to get the desired results. Without seeing your truck, i would go new finish, and the collinite. If you cant find collinite just use a good paste wax every month.

http://www.collinite.com/marine.htm#paste

at the bottom of the screen #885