Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Burb/K5 NP241 vs 89 1Ton NP241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ_Overdrive, Nov 19, 2005.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Except for the front driveshaft drop on different sides, is there a difference between the internal parts?

I have an 89 Burb, NP241 Passenger side drop. Very noisy "poping" and or "thunking" sound when in 4wd.

Possible doner, 89 1 ton with np241, Driver side drop. Wondering if both transfer cases share the same internals.

P. S. Yes, the 1 ton was connected to a 400 and mine to a 700 but planning on dropping in a 400.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, yea, and one more thing. It is possible to limp a Burb with a blown front transmission seal 200 miles home while using pieces of a turkey pan and bailing wire as exhaust cross-over and cat converter heat shieds. You just have to stop every 30 miles and top off the fluid (saved me a $600 towing bill). Actually, since I didn't go over 55, I only lost about 1/2 a pint of fluid. NOTE, I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANYONE. NO GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

Thanks!

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Cheap and easy to rebuild what ya got...

Bearing/seal kit, Chain, prolly a range fork...$250

take the tailhousing off and see if you broke a C Clip....it lets the shaft wander and is a common break....I got my first one from a dealer for like $8 which really pizzed me off.....Then I just rebuilt the whole thing...easy to do and that way ya know what ya got...

3. AZ_Overdrive

Thanks for the info. Where is the best place to get the parts?

Also wanted to know about the 1ton vs Burb 241 internals since I was planning on swapping out the trans to a 400 and wanted to use the input shaft from the 1T on my Burb case (28 to 32 spline change for the 400).

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Internals are the same. Only difference is the 32 spline input vs the 27 spline input on the Burb.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The input shafts will swap if they are indeed both NP241s.

My only concern is if that 1-ton donor is a dually truck, its a BW1370 instead.

6. AZ_Overdrive

Yes, it is a dulley.

What is a BW1370 ????

Need to make my $$$ decision first thing in the morning so any quick responses are appreciated!

Thanks!

7. AZ_Overdrive

OK, did a quick web search. Looks like the BW1370 is a transfer case used on the trucks (89 1 ton). Hmmmm. Never herd of it but you learn something new every day.

So here are a couple of VERY important questions:

1. Will the adapter from the 400 to the BW1470 work with my NP241?

2. Are the input shafts compatable between the BW1370 and the NP241?

I will crawl up under the truck tomorrow to verify the tag on the tcase.

My two big concerns are:

1. Will the trans/tcase adapter work with my 89 burb swapping the 1 ton's 400 and my 241.

2. How difficult is it and costly, to find a replacement 32 spline input shaft for my 241.

Thanks for any info!

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes. Its the same adapter for both cases.

I don't know. Odds are against... being different manufacturers. (New Process/Venture vs. Borg-Warner)

Should be easy. NP243 (electric shift) uses the same input. NP208 might possibly work too (I have heard this, not proven it). Needs to be from a manual trans, TH400, or 4L80E application to have the 32-spline input. The ones from the IFS trucks are easy to find... you, uh... 'lucked out' and found the rare BW one. ;)

9. AZ_Overdrive

Thanks for the info! Yes, my "luck" is consistent that way.

I will go crawl under the truck at lunch today and make my final decision.

BTW, I see that the wiring harness for my 89' 350 goes through the firewall on the passenger side in a farily good sized bundle. Does it "disconnect" from the firewall or what? I need to get the harness and computer from the 1 ton doner and want to be sure I get everything I need to swap the 454 in my 89.

Thanks,