Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 Burb with a vibration @ >60MPH

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Aug 1, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

\'89 Burb with a vibration @ >60MPH

There is a vibration in my Burb that is overwhelming @ 70mph on the highway. I can tolerate it at 65mph... which is my max speed unless I have room to crank it up past 80mph where the virbration lessens. The u-joints seem to be tight to me in the rear drive shaft... so I am looking for suggestions. Bueller? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

-Dan

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: \'89 Burb with a vibration @ >60MPH

My first guesses would be u-joints and bearings?

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

maybe you could load it up with women and charge for pleasurable rides to make some extra cash and if it goes well I could drive it from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm lmao /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like an out of balance tire, or seperated tread belt. funny how we miss the simplest things on the most complex machines... my C20 did that, and all I did was swap on different tires, and it runs smooth as glass again. another higher end option could be your transmission mount is broken, and the transmission is no longer in a strait line with the rear end. this happened on the C20, and cost me a transmission before I found the problem. of course, if this is a 4x4, the transmission mount should actually be the transfercase mounts...

good luck with it,

-Ddragggon

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Check you're tires for proper balancing first. Make sure they haven't lost any wheel weights. Also, check your driveshaft for damage from rocks, etc. You can also find someone with the same truck as you and try their tires and driveshaft to see if that helps.

6. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

had the samething in my 85 (girlfriend loved it)
    put in new u-joints and fixed it,tires were checked and fine.
    factory u-joint 144k miles and not a bearing left in it.
    goodluck

7. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

Don't discount the possibility of a warped or cracked flexplate. I replaced just about everything before I finally solved my vibration. Still, check mounts, U-joints, shocks, tires, rims, bearings, ignition, and so on, but take a few seconds to pull the dust cover and check your flexplate for runout. You may be surprised...

See here for how I solved my problem: 1986 Chevy Suburban C10 Silverado 350/700R4 flexplate replacement

Good luck!

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

U-joints, tire balancing, drivshaft. If none of that is the problem I would checks your wheel bearings and axle shafts on your rear end. Thats what mine was. I toasted bearing and axle shaft on a 12 bolt. Might also want to check your tranny/transfer case mounts. Good luck.

9. Re: \'89 Burb with a vibration @ >60MPH

tranny mount, engine mounts, t-case mounts, u-joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, drag link ends !! I had a bad tranny mount that gave me a lot of vibes once on the ole Burb! Make sure you check the u-joints and rod ends with no pressure on them.