Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Apr 3, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i went and looked at a 1989 suburban today..it has the 350v8, 4wd, rear air, silverado package, tow package, and 140,000 miles..1/2 ton...
    is this a good year 'burb? is there something that i should look out for? how is the computers on these? are there any problems with this year?...i did not see any rust, there is no visable body damage, paint is decent..i can pick it up for 3gs..is it worth it?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds like a decent price to Me. I don't think there was any problems with that year to speak of. With 140k on it I would try to talk them down on the price a little if possible.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 89 burb the only problem I finding is some spacific parts. Its not exactly like the pre 87 trucks or 88 and up trucks. Depending on what you look for if the dont have things listed for a burb, you need to figure out what else it may fit. And every part try to relace/ upgrade will fight for one reason or another but usually for stupid things, or that may just be my truck

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a '90 and love it. No complaints (except for mileage, but I knew that when I bought it) It sounds like a pretty good deal to me if everything looks good.

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i just went and looked at it again..and everything looked pretty good, it has 32 inch bfgs on it and they will need to be replaced by next winter, they will be fine through the summer..the only thing that makes me hesitant is the 10blt front and rear, the automatic hubs on the front axle, and it has air bags in the rear, for towing i assume...but it is very clean and runs real nice..now i can't decide do i get it or keep the '82 k-5. i've got brand new tires for the k-5 but they are 35s and won't fit the burb cause the burb is stock height, also have 14bltff and d44 on the k-5.....but the burb is fuel injected, and i'm tired of my carb..

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I love my 89

Mine is great, but finding parts sometimes is a little sketchy. It seems GM put some of whatever they had laying around in the 88 - 91 Burb's (i.e. heater valve).
    If you have to get rid of the K5 to get the Burb, you could always swap the suspension/drivetrain components from the K5 to get what you want.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Well if you don't mind throwing that 3k at your k5 your could have mpfi and still have another 1500 to blow.

If you want the burb I'd say get it... 140,000 miles is not that much for an 89. But since it has 10bs and auto hubs try to talk him down and point out flaws wherever you can find em.

There are alot of parts that are interchangable with the c/k trucks and the burbs like motor parts, doors, and fenders but im sure there is some stuff that you can't find on both of em...

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

If everything is in working condition, with a straight body and nice interior, that's a great price for the miles. Just swap axles before you sell the k5, if you'd rather have a burb.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i say 3k is decent if everything looks good. personally i would swap the the axles/suspension/tires from the k5 onto the sub if your going to get rid of it. i wouldnt keep a 10b under a sub.

i've got an 89 k5 and love it. i think 89 is the best year. EFI is great.

what gears do u have in the d44 and 14b? what gears are in the 10b's?
    for the sub, your going to want at least 4.56 if you put 35's on it, otherwise you'll overwork the OD trans.