Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Camaro TBI into 72 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Oct 1, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all, i apologize in advance cuz im sure this has been covered, but im in the middle of doing chores so i dont have alot of time to do a forum search.

Im stripping the engine/trans/fuel injection setup out of my old 89 Camaro RS. I plan on swapping the TBI and a 4x4 700R4 into a 72 blazer at a later date.

The question is this. What components do i need to strip off the camaro to make sure it works when i swap it over ?

Off the top of my head would be the ECM, Throttle body, fuel lines.

but id like to leave out the emissions stuff. Ill prolby have a wiring harness done up by painless, id like to just run a fuel pump, injectors, O2 sensor, and leave as much of the emissions stuff off as i can to keep it simple.

Any pointers or suggestions are greatly appriciated. Ive got the car still in the garage so i can strip off all the parts i need before i have it junked.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The emissions components are pretty simple on these trucks. I wouldn't worry about that. Take everything that either is connected to the motor or anthing connected to anything that is connected to the motor. :) (electrical or mechanical) Throttle cable, etc. Pick out what you don't want later. If you don't know what all is there and needed now, you don't know enough. You do NOT want to find out what you thought you didn't need, you do, after you've cut wires and the donor is gone. Trust me. Not to be a jerk, but going into one of these swaps not knowing anything about the setup is a recipe for disaster.

Almost everything unplugs, do so. Don't cut anything you don't have to. Very little needs cut.

Thirdgen.org has the wiring diagrams for a few of the cars, but '87 or '88 is the latest they had up. That's ok, most things if not all will be identical. IMO no reason to go painless, especially if you have a good harness to start with.

3. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

oh no no, i do know what im doing in general, i was a tech for a good long while, and have been working on cars since i was 9, im just talking about this swap in particular. the emissions equipment i am talking about is on the camaro, such as all the vacume lines, charcoal canister, air injection, yadda yadda.

basically looking at the system as a whole i was wondering how much fat could be trimmed and still allow the TBI system to work in the older truck. id rather leave the "cave of snakes" in the camaro, i like the big open engine compartment of the blazer, but want the fuel injection.

i havent cut any of the harness and have been taking digital photographs of everything along the way (very helpfull idea for anyone doing an engine swap) and have all the pictures saved on my computer, external hard drive, and a disk lol. so putting it all back together shouldnt be a problem. ill probly be having painless wiring do me up a custom harness for the blazer that will run the bare bones setup, i just needed to know from someone who had done it or knew the programming better than i, exactly what stuff i could leave out of the swap. Ill probly have to have the chip reprogrammed, but im ok with that as well.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You're going to need, ECM, TBI with all sensors attached, 02 sensor, knock sensor, coolant temp sensor and if you're taking the engine the knock sensor will remain with the engine and so will the coolant temp sensor. You will need the fue pump (or at least at some point you will need an electrical pump for TBI).

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The only things you can get rid of are EVAP, AIR, and EGR. I guess EGR gets rid of two hoses (one to valve, one to solenoid) and EVAP gets rid of a few others. AIR, not sure.

Wiring of a stock harness is very little if any more complex than Painless, since the TBI stuff is essentially a standalone harness already. GM didn't put extra wires in there. Only ones extra are for the components listed above, and anything else you may not use but could be present like a power steering switch or AC stuff.