Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 chassis cab dually 14 FF ? same as 73-87 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 27, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

would an 89 C-3500 Dually Chassis Cab 14 FF axle be exact same dimensions as 73-87 ones of the same exact model and everything ? only the pickup duallies were dana 70 right and not the C/C's...
    right ?

40" from pad to pad and still narrower WMS to WMS overall measurement than the pickups ?

if so then i will begin parting an 89 C-3500 dually flatbed in a week,, or two weeks at maybe possible longest,,
    if i can still snag it... in which i am gonna go check on here in a bit, im sure its still there, but possible chance it may not be, not sure yet,
    i hope!

thanks

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

If it is in fact a 14 bolt C and C for the 73-91 trucks, then I will take it if you can get it. And yes, it should be 40" pad to pad and 63" WMS to WMS.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

haha sorry no id be keeping the 14 FF thats why i want the 89 lol,
    damn things are rare as hell i been looking for a long time to no avail..
    cannot find a 1 ton dually FF C and C anywhere.. as a parts rig or not.. any year.. nothing... used to be a few, but not anymore.,. poof all gone.. and i know where thye all went, axles and all.. peoria shredder,,, lots of them i witnessed many times...

short of physically measuring- am i going to be able to find out for sure if an 89 FF C and C dually FF is same as the 70s and such ones ?
    i was gonna go there about an hour ago, but im starting to zone out and i gotta work tonight so im gonna crash out soon, maybe ill go there in the AM when i get off work at 7, hmm,..

yes its an 89 C and C dually C-3500

done looked at it a couple times in person, its about 10 miles from here in a little town the guy is bugging me to buy it, and im gonna jump on it if its still parked and if it is really the usual old 40" and 63"

doesnt seem to be anyone who knows anything about 88-ups, hmm..
    and ive never touched one, so i dunno,,

nothing actually wrong with the truck short of dented door and fender and bad fuel pump,.

could drive it, but i want the 71 more,, cant keep the eaton 72 under it, and cant find just a 14FF C and C axle, so,.,.

hate to,..,

thanks

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have a C and C in my garage now minus ring and pinion, so they are around.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why is it minus gears ? what happened ?
    you know how to install gears ??

matter of right time at right place

yeah,

but arent abundant by any means, thats for sure,

thanks

6. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

C&C 14 bolt

I've got a C&C 14 bolt in my garage and can't find anybody who even wants it for scrap. What are they good for ? Maybe a Jeep ? I't came with a DRW F60
    in a CSX repair truck. Other than the R&P what can be used on a SRW 14 bolt?
    Thanks Jeff

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you guys kill me

y'all here must really dislike dually rigs

im sad now,..,

is there a dually forum somewhere so i can join ?

too bad youre in OH, id buy that axle..... hope you dont waste it..

dont even say anything if you're gonna,.. i dont wanna know it,.

sigh..

thanks

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Better look good at it, chevy did some funny stuff. I have an 89 c3500 (ext cab, new body style) that was sold with a flat bed, I have the original invoice and order sheet to prove it was not a pick up..... But it has a wide Dana 70 and the pick-up wheel base, I dropped a pick up box on it a few years ago.

9. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

C&C 14 bolt

Man R72K5, don't get all down I've owned a dually or two in my time. I will make you a deal, If you think you might be in the Cincinnati area in say the next year you can have the C&C 14 bolt its drum to drum with a 3.73 gear! It came free when I bought the 454/465/205/60f combo.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm i wonder..

interesting..
    thanks

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i wish i had a way to get that.. but with gas costs and i dont have anything i could haul an FF with for that lng of distance.. plus i work full time third shift..

humm.

thanks i appreciate..

12. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I could really use a C&C 14 bolt, the axle in my c30 has seen better days, and i think one of the hubs is bent a little. Even though i'm a lot closer than randy, i'd still be spending $40-$50 in gas for the trip. I would be able to come get it in mid-April once i start getting mores hours in at work and can spare some cash for gas. You can email me at jeremyk5@gmail.com

13. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

R72K5, I have a brochure that came with it titled: "document for incomplete vehicle", "This incomplete vehicle may be completed into a truck, multi-purpose passenger vehicle", it lists the wheel bases for available cab and chasis models in 1989, unfortunately it doesn't mention track widths. It says:

c/k cab and chasis was only available in 131.5, and 155.5 (ext cab) wheelbases in 89, same wheel bases as the c/k pick up models.

the r/v was available in 135.5, 159.5, and 164.5 (crew cab) only the 164.5 shares a common wheel base of a c/k pick up from 73-87, which were 117.5, 131.5, and 164.5.

Since the cab and chasis c/ks in 89 share the same wheel base of the c/k pick ups of the year, were they just pick ups with out boxes instead of a specialty vehicle? In the case of mine it had the wide D-70 like a pick up would have had, I don't know if that is the norm or an exception. But I would look at the truck in question.

14. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

C&C 14bolt

I've had a fiew people tell me that my C&C 14 was not what I thought it was,none of which no what there talking about. My diff has 63" wms to wms,40" pad centers and a
    14 bolt cover. A DRW 70 HD has a 10 bolt cover, does not have a bolt in front pinion
    support and is 10" to 12" wider . I am currently hunting for a DRW70 HD to combo with
    SRW 14 bolt hubs to get that 75 to 77" width I need soooo bad. Making stock H1 wheels look correct under a K5 with a full body has been more difficult than I had planed.

Hey R72K5 Find me my Dana DRW 70HD and I meet you in Indy for a swap!
    Jeff

Also if any of my info is wrong please correct me, I'm still learn'n!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how odd... i had a gearset for one in my garage. pinion support, carrier and all. heh, what are the chances of that. :haha:

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i found your Dana 70... its at my buddy's house. last i knew, he was just going to give it away. email me at OneFaastC10@aol.com, maybe we can work something out. :confused:

17. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I have a couple 14 bolts laying around but are for the later c/k trucks not the R/V years. One is from a 94 C and C and is 63 inches wms to wms like the 89 your talking about and is 4.56 ratio. It has giant tubes on it and the finned housing. Does anybody know if I can put normal 14 bolt single wheel hubs on it and will that increase the wms to wms to the normal 67"? Id like to use this in my 87 blazer but I need it to match my single wheel D60 front.

18. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

C&C 14 bolt

Hey , beater_k20 are yanking my chain ? If I knew where Elkhart was I'ed come and swap you. It has to be a DRW 70 HD, 73" wms/wms. I don't know squat about 70's and there various widths but the 73"er is what I want.
    Thanks Jeff

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no chain yankin, he's got a DRW Dana 70 that came out of a '77ish C30 dually. i dont know what gear ratio it is, or if its open or not. if you're interested, i can see about pulling the cover and finding out. we're about 5 hours from Cincinnati.

20. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

C&C 14bolt

Look and see what gears are in it , and its wms to wms. I'd love for it to be
    4.56 but i'll take it if it's 73" wide. I also have a 4.10 gear for 14 bolt C&C
    if you like better than a 3.73. ! Is this a even trade? Let me know.
    Jeff