Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 chevy one ton what t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jul 30, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my buddie has a 89 1ton chevy long bed with the driverside front driveline and turbo 400 tranny. what transfecase does he have?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Probably NP241. I don't think they changed t-case options for weight class in the newer trucks.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If it is a newer body style K series and not the older body style V series One Ton than it will have a Borg Warner transfer case - more than likely it is a model 4401 although it could be a 4470 . To the best of my knowledge GM never used a NP 241 in a real One Ton truck - they did come in the C6P optioned H.D. 3/4 Ton trucks though . HTH , Tom

I just reread your post and saw that you mentioned driver side output - so it should be the B/W case .

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I say a 205. I say this because when I got my donor one ton rolling chassis for my 75 was an 89 1 ton frame down with title. It was a special order but was original until the body burned, it was a diesel 1 ton if that makes any difference. But the driver side front driveline makes me go hmmmm.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Mudhog has a newer body style C/K series truck ("driverside front driveline"), your parts donor would have to have been a 2nd gen carry over R/V series truck.

6. mudhog

ok we found out it has a 241c in it how hard is it to change the chain in it?

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The chains are not that hard to replace but the trick is to get the oil pump slinger and tube in there just right . Look at the sprockets real good and replace if needed . You may want to replace the bearings while your in there as well.
    Question : How did he determine that it was a 241C ?

8. mudhog

he crawled under it and found the tag on it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Ha .... Got it . I guess Ya learn something new everyday - I did not realize that GM ever used the 241 in a K-3500 , maybe they went to the BW cases at a later year ???
    Good luck on the chain replacement , Tom

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

damn i'm good... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif just a little hazing guys, don't take it personal. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif too bad i was guessing which t-case it had anyway.