Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 chevy trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by missedagain32, Sep 25, 2005.

1. missedagain32

missedagain32 Newbie

I have a 89 chevy truck. It had a 5 speed in it but a friend gave me a 4L60 that had been rebuilt I would like to put in it. The wiring isnt the same though. I seen where someone makes a kit for trucks that werent comp run that is suppose to run the trans. Mine has a comp but like I said the wiring is all diff. Will these things work and work well or what do I need to do. Any other problems Iam going to have? Thanks for the help . Keith

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

4L60E or 4L60? The way to tell.....

4L60 has a four prong, square connector for it and a TV cable going to the throttle.

4L60E has a larger, round plug going into it with no TV cable.

4L60 will work in your truck, but you need a switch to control the TCC lockup. A few trans aftermarket people sell it, but even then you may have problems with how the engine runs. You will also need to change the flywheel to a flexplate and get a shifter, change driveshaft length, re-position crossmember and change trans mount. Personally, I'd just buy a truck with an auto already in it. The cost is pretty high for converting.

BTW, the 4L60 is most commonly called 700R4, they are the same trans.

3. missedagain32

missedagain32 Newbie

what does the switch do?

It is the 4L60, I have a 91 that I took the steering column & flex plate off of. Its just a parts truck. The transmissions are the same length so i think the drive shafts will work. I was really worried about how the trans will shift and what the switch does for it. What may not run right about it and why? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again. keith

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

all that 4 prong plug is for is the TCC connector, as long as you hook up the T/V cable and adjust it correctly, it will shift fine

I swaped a auto into a 5 speed 89 and I found that I just needed to get a automatice PROM(same ECM), add 2 wires and I had the ECM controlling the TC just like stock