Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Crew Cab K30

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2puller, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I am making a deal on a 89 K30 crew cab. 454TBI, Th400, NP205 with a D60/D70 combo. Anything to look at befor shelling out cash? Obviously the basics but anything specific to this motor or chasis?

Asking price is low, what would you offer for this

Cnv0234.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just give me the address i will make it easyer for ya. i will buy it for my self. check for bone in the back of the cab where the door line is to the cab. i have seen lots of them with rust there. also the mounting spots of the dully fenders.

in responce to your other tire question. i had one with 235/85/16 on it no problems. just need to make sure tires dont rub sidewalls when on ground and loaded.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Youll need to learn that it is a v3500... no longer a k30 (88-91)... most parts guys will give you the wrong stuff because they get confused with the ifs k20/k30... but youll quickly educate them...

since its a crew check the frame carefully.... they can get used hard pulling and sometimes because of the lWB get tweaked.... the pic of it is very nice... but even on mine which had only 36 k original miles on it required alot of work to super sanitize it.. window seals and the like..

make sure you check the rear door operation carefully... if they dont open and close easily it may be a sign of a good hit ,,,,

you wont like the fuel mileage... 10 easy 7 pulling... Im looking at a gear vendor and a 6.5 this winter if I dont sell it first

Youll love the room... and typical ease of maintenance.... but fit and finish in these final years was at best.... ok

enjoy

cam

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Its in East Bum**** Maine :D
    And I put a deposit on it befor I posted :wink1:
    The only reason I haven't taken her home was because the guy wasn't home and his wife wouldn't let me test drive it. I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow then if their is no major issues it will come home.

They were asking 3900$. It has 149K miles and a clean record on carfax.com

It has been painted and I banged pretty hard on the rockers and cab corners for bondo. I will bring a magnet tomorrow. Everything seems solid. The rear dually fenders seem a little loose like but it was clean between them and the bedsides. No plow marks on the frame and the hitch is only wired for a 4 pole flat at the bumper. It does have a brake controler though so it must have been towing more than that at some point. The controller is an older unit, same as my old 88 suburban had in it.
    It has the camper package with the little TP emblem on the "C" pillar.
    Here is the RPO list

Cnv0253.jpg

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

6.2Puller,

Dude, that's a great truck for the money. I'd snatch it up as soon as I could if it was me. I've seen (and even contemplated purchasing on more than one occasion) similar trucks for easily twice the money, and some in questionable condition.

I'd have to agree with the above posts too. Just for comparison, I paid 10.5K for my 90 V3500. It's got 60K miles on it, 4 inch lift, and a 4 speed.

Good luck with it.

ARAMP1

Truck 1.jpg

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

That CC looks pretty good in that pic. It appears that you're getting a very good deal. Congratulations!

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Sounds like a really good deal. I payed more than that for my 91 srw truck and it was in nearly as good shape. :thumb:

Edit: I love that white dually. :bow:

8. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

sounds like all you need is a credit card to put gas in that thing !!! :D

9. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

CrewCab

Well really nice shape ,got to love the price.What are your plans for the truck?Resale,Cummins conversion?

Thanks
    CrewCab59

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Well I took it home last night for 3500$ cash. It drives like a dream.

Needs a bit of tinkering but all in all it is great.
    Bonus of the deal was that the motor was replaced 2yrs ago. When he told me that I rolled my eyes because every truck I ever look at supposudly has a newer motor. Unless their are reciepts I don't buy it. Well it so happens he has receipts and the transplant was done by my inspection guy. SWEEET.

11. ARAMP1

That's great! Congrats on your new truck. I'd say mine is in great condition and it still needs some tinkering here and there. I'm guessing it always will. Now all you need is about 6 inches of lift and some 35s under it. :)

ARAMP1

12. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Well I gave her a shake down run yesterday. Ran across the state to pick up a K5 to part out. That thing tows 100% better than my C10 1ton. I guess no matter how heavy duty I make the C10 it will never tow like a real 1ton. I think the weight of the D60 up front helps the truck corner well with a 7000lb load on the bumper. It was a sweet ride. Never have I felt comfortable at 70mph with a heavy trailer befor. The C10 feels to skidish over 65mph. The 1ton felt fine and I could have done more if the RPMs were a little lower.

13. sweetk30

looks like its time for a 4l80-e swap soon.

14. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

yah, I was actually in a small way wishing it was a 700r4 like my C10.
    The weird thing is that both my burban and the crew cab have 4.10s and TH400s but the crew cab turns a slower RPM at 65 than the burban. The Burb is on 35s and the crew cab is on 215 85 16s so I don't get it. I don't have tachs in either so this is just by feel but the 350 feels like its doing 3600rpm or so and the 454 seems to be in the 2500 range by ear.

4l60es were available behind the big blocks correct?

15. sweetk30

na you want the big boy on the block the 4l80-e. this was factory in 91 with 205. i have done a swap with a fixed yoke 2x4 4l80- and a 205 with 400 adaptor easy to do. just need a few things.

16. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

WOOOHOOO. Just went and registered this bad boy now that the dealer plate is expired and the fine lady at the town office asked what I was using it for. I said to tow a camper and car trailer. She asked if I will be exceeding 8K lbs in the truck? I said hell no. She registered it as a sub 8K GVRW so we saved going to the state for registration and commercial inspection crap. WOOHOO.

17. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats a saweet truck, I love these crew cabs sooo very much. But did I get a good deal on this truck then. 86' 454/400/205 front 60 rear 70. Has 80k original miles, body is in perfect shape, not one ounce of rust and runs like butter. A/c power everything all works. I ended up paying 3800, I found it in the recycler and I dont think the guy really knew what he had. When I saw it ( two days ago) without hesistating I gave a 500 dollar deposit and told him Ill be back with the rest tommorrow. I think I scored!

[​IMG]

Dont worry I ditched the bug shield and the running boards are gone already. That was the first thing to come off. Now its time for some 35's. Hey did yours come with true dual exhaust and no cats. Mine is a cali truck and its like that. Passes smog too.

18. ARAMP1

Where the hell were all these nice trucks at when I was looking for mine? I actually contemplated on buying this truck for $3K!!! Man you got a hell of a deal.

Dually.jpg

19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

man, around where i live that thing would probably go for $6-7k easy. id prolly pay at least $5k for it. SWEET DEAL!!!!!

20. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Mine has a single 3" exhaust.

That looks like a very similar deal to mine and I think I got a smokin deal so yah, you got a good deal.

I talked to the guy who put the motor in mine and he says it was out of a manual K20 so he had a prom burned for the ECU. I keep getting a pinging and check engine light with the first tank of 87 oct fuel. Been running 89 now and all is fine. I am wondering what else he did to this motor.

So far I have put 1000miles on mine all towing and only had to replace one exhaust hanger and the rear brake lines from prop valve back. It takes 3 60" lengths of 1/4" brake line plus the 8" adaptor line to go from prop valve to 1/4" to run from the prop valve back to the load adjusting thing on the rear axle incase you ever need to know. :D

Cnv0314.jpg