Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 crew dual 454 tbi issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Aug 16, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and i was told tbi needed all its sensors.... to include the 02 sensor....

so explain to me once again why i do not seem to have an 02 sensor on my truck.... ?? :dunno:

the 02 sensor is near the cat right?

also the truck in its original configuration had single exhaust dual cats.... one near front like normal before muffler and one after muffler before tailpipe ;) and i searched exhaust pipe from behind the first cat (2nd one long gone) all the way up the the exhaust manifolds...

which leads me to the conclusion i do not in fact have an 02 sensor lol which is :saweet: meaning it will not even know the difference in headers except for the power i gain. also no vent tube thingy from the cat for any smog stuff or whatever. does have a smog pump though... which is in need of removal when i get to it ;) :waytogo:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

O2 sensor is going to be in the passenger exhaust manifold right about where it mates up to the exhaust downpipe. TBI came with an O2 sensor, period.

Cat converters, I'm curious to hear about this. I suspect ones a sound reducer of some type, and ones the converter.

Can't think of any stock application (GM anyway) that didn't use only one converter per pipe. True duals, two converters, otherwise just one. Doesn't mean there weren't, just haven't seen or heard of them.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

If you don't have an o2 sensor then it should have about as much power as a 4 banger. The o2 sensor is the only thing the computer uses to measure if its rich or lean... the computer has to have the o2 sensor to make it run... check again. For the third time tbi will run with headers with NO problem at all... just drill a hole and weld in a bung and your done.

Where was it made? If it has a smog pump and was made in maine then you need to leave it on... otherwise you won't pass visual inspection.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

eh so they do. i was concerned when i could not find it. it is on the drivers manifold though :dunno: that truck always amazes me.

and i swear about the 2 cats... me and dad always thought the 2nd one was a resonator... then he learned the 2nd was a cat and needed for inspection. :dunno: just like when ordering parts for the truck sometimes it used to pull up the wrong part on the comp as the 89 crew is still like the same body style as the 87 lol so gm mixed and matched parts basically on my truck.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

just posted correction to 02 sensor :waytogo: and funny smog pump pump on the 82 dd crew dual 350 carb was removed when i got it inspected ;) and no gm was made in maine ;) :D i know i will get slapped for that one :D

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

sold/made....

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i know i was being wise.. why i added i know i will get slapped for this one ;)

and i posted more in the other thread

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:haha: Not unless were slap boxin :D

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, guess GM put the O2 anywhere they wanted! :)

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lol i think so. sometimes i think they do things just to make us keep guessing. i love (sarcastic) the semi serp belt setup too!!! :doah: what were they thinking?