Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 GM 4x4 crew cab .... short bed??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Mar 27, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Check this out. I didn't think they existed. What do you think ... custom or from the factory? I doubt the seller even knows. He didn't even list the drivetrain other than the engine.

Eric M.

89 crewcab short bed

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Errr. VIN checks out as a crewcab with bed -- as opposed to a crewcab cab/chassis -- but they don't tell you whether it's short or long. I've always understood the crewcab to be a longbed, period, end of story. Certainly I've never come across one or paperwork for one in the literature.

What would the wheelbase be, I wonder? (dig dig dig)

Blazer is 106.5" in these years.
    Shortbed (regular cab) pickup is 117.5"
    Burb is 129.5"
    Longbed (regular cab) pickup is 131.5"
    Longbed (crewcab) is 164.5"

Wheelbase would be ~150.5" for a crewcab shortbed, which means it's not an off-the-shelf frame.

No idea. I remember years ago there was a guy who did this on some mailing list I read: he chopped the frame off, moved the rear axle up and dropped on a short bed.

-- A

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its custom...they were never made from the factory so the guy is blowing da smoke about that... looks nicely done from the exterior.. but one would have to look at the frame splice to see how it was done.. if done correctly its a neat piece... if done poorly it probably wouldn't go down the road straight and would break at the worst time.. it will be interesting to see how much it sells for
    I have 2 1989 vr3500 trucks 1 regular cab and 1 crewcab...
    cam

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif That thing would look awesome on some 8" springs and my tires and wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have seen one custom shortbed crew cab for sale before but never heard of them being factroy.

5. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if it's custom or not. However, I did see a two wheel drive, crew cab, short bed, 89-91 model, about a year ago in Las Vegas. It caught my eye so I checked it out a little closer. I couldn't see any modifications done to the rear of the frame. The truck looked completely stock.

Because I saw that one in Vegas, and now this one, it sure has me thinkin' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

6. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Damn You! Now i have to bid! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I know some people around here have, or have talked about at least, dropping the cab and a short bed on a longbed truck frame... Maybe the one you saw in Vegas was like that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I don't think that would work. The bed is 2' shorter and the crewcab in like 3' longer. How about the shape of the frame? Could you even mount a crewcab on a standard frame??

Eric M.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think that would work. The bed is 2' shorter and the crewcab in like 3' longer. How about the shape of the frame? Could you even mount a crewcab on a standard frame??

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

No not without modifcations.
    I am contemplating putting a crewcab on a longbed regular cab frame, and it needs a lot changes to work, and will not look stock.
    I heard before that there was a limited run of short bed crewcabs and have been trying to lacte one to look at it.
    It could be but I have yet to see one in person and study it.
    Now they have them, you can have any configuration you want.
    I guess they learned, the customer is king and if he wants something he'll get it even if it's fromthe guy next door. ie dodge or Ford.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif