Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 gmc jimmy, what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by w0lf, Jul 11, 2004.

1. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

went and looked at an 89' jimmy today, and want some input on what you all think about it.

AT, AC, 149k miles, power everything, stock/original engine, new transmission, 8" superlift springs, 2" body lift, 36" swampers, body in good shape, top in good shape, interior in good shape, flowmasters / k&n.

the engine has a ticking sound which sounds like lifters to the uninformed, my assumption is that it is going to need some serious work. the headliner is also ripped as well, but that is no big deal. pretty major dings on front an back, but they are small, and the normal dents and chips.

I REALLY like this truck, but they guy is asking over $8k for it, which i think is high.

what do you all think? i'm pretty set on the 89-91 blazer/jimmy at this point, and there is not an abundance of them in my neck of the woods.

thanka in advance for your continued help in my quest to REALLY join the club.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya 8 grand is a little much look to get him down to around 5-6 mainley because of the engine

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

8k seems a bit high.

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

8k would be high even if it had a d60 and 14 bolt... keep shopping...

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The ticking sound might be leaking headers (if it has them) but even with all the goodies he has, $8,000 is too much. Just walk... no no... run away from that deal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought my 89 Jimmy about 7 yrs ago for 5K....one owner garage kept non-smoker with street tires....with 44K on the clock....thinkin' there's better deals out there....I'd keep shoppin'....

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Look in the for sale forum, there are a few VERY well built trucks for sale, for almost half that price. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sounds high too me. I'll also be concerned about how it may have been abuced. I think you be better off to find yourself a fairly stock vehicle and build it the way you want it, that way you'll the what quality of the parts going into it. Nothing worse the buying something and later finding out that th PO used crappy/cheap parts, or messed something up with poor engineering. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Look in the for sale forum, there are a few VERY well built trucks for sale, for almost half that price. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually did look in the for sale section, and didn't see any in No Cal that looked all that good.

do you know of any in no cal that you can point me too?

either way i'll go search again today!

10. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That sounds high too me. I'll also be concerned about how it may have been abuced. I think you be better off to find yourself a fairly stock vehicle and build it the way you want it, that way you'll the what quality of the parts going into it. Nothing worse the buying something and later finding out that th PO used crappy/cheap parts, or messed something up with poor engineering. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, excellent point. the kid who built this truck definitely "drove" it hard.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the other problem is the 2" body lift, which i'm not crazy about. the springs are REALLY flexed, and from what i've read this may not be a a good thing. 2 dogs told me not to worry about it initially, but given a choice i'd prefer it didn't have it.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

stay away and buy the 88 you looked at instead, it is 5500 cheaper right off the bat and you still get the fuel injected motor and for the 5500 you can do a lot of mods to the 88, that 88 seems like a good deal plus you get the 3/4 ton axles and all that power everything is just something else that may not take the abuse from offroading and be going out at the most inopportune time

just my thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    stay away and buy the 88 you looked at instead, it is 5500 cheaper right off the bat and you still get the fuel injected motor and for the 5500 you can do a lot of mods to the 88, that 88 seems like a good deal plus you get the 3/4 ton axles and all that power everything is just something else that may not take the abuse from offroading and be going out at the most inopportune time

just my thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean the stock 88 that the lady was a smoker? we actually never went to look at that one. we looked at 2 other ones yesterday, and ran out of time. she wanted $4k for it though, and i'm going to have to drop another $10 into it to get it where i want it.

that is my main problem right now. i THINK it would be easier to be patient and find someone who has a truck already built (even if it's not perfect) and then tweak it, rather than gettin a stocker, and building it myself.

what do you think? bear in mind, i have no mechanical skills, which means not only do i have to buy the parts, but pay someone to install everything.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Miscelaneous ramblings....

It sounded like a sticky/collapsed lifter or a flat lobe on the cam. Had the dead hole sound to the exhaust also.

The truck was clean, had 4.56s and some sort of locker or posi in the reaer (12bolt/D44).
    Nice Edelbrock headers.
    Relatively unmolested and not wheeled hard. The guy actually claims it has 49k miles not 149 - we plan on doing a carfax as soon as we copy the VIN.

The 8" springs look like 6" to me to where the 2" body lift looks about right for 35/36" tires.

I think it is doable for $6k or less.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. fourwheelerjeff

this one is what i was talking about, i thought you guys went and looked at it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

good thing he has a good friend to help in the search, i know i like to get some input from an objective party that may see things i overlook in the heat of the moment /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 2Dogs

Good friend?!?! BWAHAHAHAHA 'Dave is the Devil' LOL

I told him to get a Mall Poser with 10 bolts on 44s - then I could drag his ass up, down, and out of the wilderness. I love winching when it is not me stuck/broke. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    i THINK it would be easier to be patient and find someone who has a truck already built (even if it's not perfect) and then tweak it, rather than gettin a stocker, and building it myself.

what do you think? bear in mind, i have no mechanical skills, which means not only do i have to buy the parts, but pay someone to install everyhting.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and a lot of times, you can get the whole package (lifted and modded truck) cheaper than buying a stocker and then buying all the parts and putting them on;
    as far as putting them on, i THINK that if you were to have a wrenching party at your house some of the ck5'ers in your area would show up and help you out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

btw, i am just giving advice, i didn't get to see the trucks so you have more of an idea about the pros and cons of each, if you truly like the 89 try to make the best deal you can and be happy and have fun wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually did look in the for sale section, and didn't see any in No Cal that looked all that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey! Mine was in the "for sale" forum, is in Norcal, and is built WAYY better than that 89' you are looking at, not to mention it has about 10K on the whole built drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. 2Dogs

Is yours priced in the same ballpark as that 89? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bet it would not pass emissions here in the Bay /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Very nice tho /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

20. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey! Mine was in the "for sale" forum, is in Norcal, and is built WAYY better than that 89' you are looking at, not to mention it has about 10K on the whole built drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually did look at yours, but you didn't sound like you were sure if you were selling, it, it didn't have a price, and was an 85', so i didn't look that close at it.

oops, just noticed this:

"The motor is not California smog legal at the moment."

that is a deal killer for me.