Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 IFS center section in a 98?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Butch, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I know the old fronts used that coil that warmed the oil pocket deal to engage the front axle disconnect, but mine uses a solenoid. Can they be swapped out to where I could put the older version in my pick up. My center is busted and might could get a good deal on this one. Thoughts??

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

PM me .I have all stuf I took out for SFA swap.Diff,axles,a arms,cheap!!Diff has 4.10s in it,extra3.73s.$200 gets all. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Is it a 6 lug or 8 lug set up? I have the 8 lugger.

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

not to hijack, but you have an 1/2t IFS diff w/410s?? i need that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oh yeah, you're talking about the actuator. my 94 has the heated one, but the newer trucks have the electrical actuator. you can use either one.

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

So you are saying that you can switch out the actuators between the front ends??

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Been watching one eyed monster,Stargate night on SiFi.Have whole front out of 88 1/2 T 6 lug.Pulled out for SFA swap. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

yeah, i think you can switch out the actuators. out of curiosity, have you thought of installing a posilok instead of using the thermal or electric actuator?

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Have all stuff out of 1/2T.Make someone good deal on all of it.4.10s in diff now.Left overs after SFA swap.Best thing ever happened to my ride. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 suburban 3/4 ton, 4 x 4, 4.10 gears
    What frt end parts are you looking for ???

10. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

a good deal on all of it huh? well, i can't really use anything except the diff, that little indicator switch, and the CVs for spares(those are good, right?). what kinda shipping would that be?(the diff and CV joints), any idea?

11. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I need the whole center section for mine, but it has to be an 8lug set up. They have a bigger ring gear and all. Ed needs a bed and wants the 454TBI we found in this 89. If I can use the front we are going to buy it and each take parts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal. its tough finding any good 4x4s around here that i can scrounge for parts /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Butch, I have an 8 lug whole IFS system that I yanked out of my truck. And it's a 96. Let me know if you want it.

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Will take $200 for all of it.gears alone should be worth that.It's 6 lug stuff.If you can get 8 lug stuff thats what i'd do.It's stronger and can get locker for it.If i don't sell it prob gonna build big go cart with parts and 4 cyl bike motor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif