Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 Jimmy 4x4 HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shari71, Jan 31, 2002.

1. shari71

shari71 Registered Member

\'89 Jimmy 4x4 HELP!

I have a '89 Jimmy that the 700R4 tranny blew up, so I replaced the tranny and transfer case with a 350 from one of my parts trucks a '76 Jimmy, the front axle bolted up fine, the back axle needed a little fitting, now heres the problem. It runs fine in two wheel, but lock the front hubs and put it into 4x4, and it doesn't want to move foreward or backward, but it does move up, it's kind of like the front wheels are turning back and the front are turning foreward. Could this be a problem with the front axle? Maybe cause the '76 had full time locked front axle? The 4x4 worked in the other truck, and I checked the shifter adjustment on the transfer case. Help I'm lost.
    Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: \'89 Jimmy 4x4 HELP!

Uhhhh that sounds like the axles do not have the same gear ratio's in them.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. shari71

That could be, is there a way to check them?
    Thanks

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

pull your covers and see what they are stamped with...

but you said 4 wheel drive worked fine before you swapped them? that really wouldnt make any sense then...

are you sure you hooked the driveshaft up right? what does a little fitting mean?

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

5. shari71

Well Here's the thing, I bought the truck after it had been on fire, and have been fixing it up. Not long after I got it running again the tranny blew up, so I don't know if it worked before or not. I will see if I can find anything out on the gears, I had to cut the yoke off of the rear driveshaft and weld on the one from the '76, the u-joint wouldn't work.
    Should they both be stamped with the same number?
    Thanks

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

most likely they are different gear setups in the front and rear...pull your diff covers and check what your ring gear is stamped with...the only thing that puzzles me is i have always heard that if you lock in 4 wheel drive with diff. ratios your transfer case will basically detonate...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...