Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 K5 code 44- but runs rich?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I was driving down the highway today and I was having trouble keeping up with traffic, it felt like the motor had no power. It used a ton of gas and it had that rotten egg smell when the cat is clogged. It also has an idle miss (idles rough, hesitates badly from a stop) and it stalled out twice. I think there may be a problem inside the distributor. It doesn't burn any oil, the plugs, plug wires, O2, fuel filter, air cleaner and EGR are new. The SES was not on, but I checked for codes anyway and got code 44 (lean exhaust). The cheesy Haynes manual said I need to check fuel pressure. Where do I hook up the guage? Why would it set a lean code when it is obviously running rich?

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

This is just a guess but maybe the engine thinks it's running lean so it's dumping more fuel than needed, thus creating a rich state. I get code 44 multiple times daily. I need to change the fuel filter and i think it will clear up. I'm not sure on how to hook up the fuel pressure guage. Hope this explains why it's running rich.

James

3. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Yeah, that makes sence since limp-home mode is rich, but this is really rich! I'm going to try and find a new rotor and cap tomorow so I can get to work on monday.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just had the exact same problem with my "89" blazer. I replaced the 02-sensor and nothing, but after I replaced the fuel pump, my problem is all gone now. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">I just happen to have a spare fuel pump, I will try that if nothing else works. thanks!

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Is this with your TPI setup?

7. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">No, it's my 89 K5. I still gotta get the tank in, run the lines and do a few other things before the blue one with the TPI runs. What's a good PC-based scanner program? I might be getting a cheap used laptop this week