Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 K5 Lift/Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KingSmoth, Jul 5, 2000.

1. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

I'm looking for a K5 Blazer, recently found an 89 locally for $4000, going to look into it. If I buy it(or any other one), I want to put a lift on it, 35" tires, guard, and a few other things. However, I don't know what all I need for a lift kit(looking for about 3"). I found on http://www.carparts.com a 3" body lift kit, but I don't know if it would need a suspension lift or anything. I was hoping someone here could help out a newbie to the world of the K5. Thanks.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Your gonna have to do a bit of fender trimming for 35" with a 3" lift. I'd recomend a 6" lift or at least bare minimum of 4".

89 K5 Silverado

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

But the 89 K5 is a sweet blazer, I love mine.

89 K5 Silverado

4. KingSmoth

I would actually like to get a bigger lift, but I don't know if I could afford it. What should I expect to pay for a lift like 6"+? Thanks.

5. Crutch

Crutch Registered Member

The price depends on all the options you need. If you went with something from Tuff Country, you could prolly get what you need for around $700. If you are planning to do any 4x4ing, stay away from a body lift. I've found that 33" tires work great for me. Sure, they don't look as cool as 35", but you'll have less stress on axles and drivetrain. Another idea would be to go with a 4-6" lift and buy some bushwacker fender cutouts. I'd bet you could almost run 38's with those.

Crutch

6. KingSmoth

I don't plan on doing much 4x4'ing, it's pretty much just for show. I just love the look of a high Blazer and big tires. However, being in college, I don't have the money to do a huge lift like I want, so I'm just looking for the cheapest way to fit some 35's on there, and be able to go out and 4x4 sometime(nothing major though).

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Cheapest way...hmmmm.....
    Go to the local lumber yard and throw some 2x4's up under the springs [​IMG].
    If your gonna do just show you could get by with a body lift, but with a 3" body you probably won't be able to fit more than 33"s. Unless you trimmed the fenders.

89 K5 Silverado

8. buttman

buttman Registered Member

Ha!Ha! thats funny mudfrog. I have a 1989 Blazer with a 4" suspension lift and 35's on it. The tires dont rub but the hit the the fenders while off roading. I would recomend a 6" lift. And if I were you I would spend the money on a good suspension lift, in the long run your better off goodluck, Buttman

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Just for show I would go with 33" tires and a 2.5 inch lift. they are almost as good and if you got a 4" lift I would be higher and you could fit 35" but they are more expensive and you'll have to buy a lot of other stuff with the lift and it will put more stress on the axles. you really should get the steering correction with any lift especially over 3-4" but with 2.5" you could leave it out for a while and probably be alright.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BTW $4000 for an '89 sounds like a real good deal. I hope its in good shape.

11. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Cheapest?......go borrow a saws-all and cut all your q-panels off.
    heheh, sorry for the sarcasm

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

saw some genuine straight axle 6in lifts for 343 or something like that....i don't know [censored] about the quality but it looks nice

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

13. KingSmoth

Thanks for the posts guys. What kind of fender trimming would be needed for 35's? I have decided my course of purchasing stuff for it, tires/lift are the last on the list, going to save up for a while on it. My list so far is a chrome grille guard, chrome side bars, driving lamps, clear corners/tails, and chrome tail guards. A guy down the road has a Cherokee with some of that stuff, looks really good. I also saw a Z71 tonight with all the chrome stuff, it looked sweet. Man, I've been searching town for K5's like crazy recently, finding none, but today I've seen like ten driving around, all with big lifts and tires, it's driving me insane not having one =). I've had this urge to go mudding today, but I doubt my Buick could handle it =).