Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TEXICAN, Mar 26, 2006.
How much horsepower can a stock TBI make & can you swap any components in them to make more power.
I'm carbed, but if I had a factory TBI and was considering upgrading the engine underneath it, I'd give these guys a ring:
(the following is quoted from their FAQ)
For your GM vehicle we can:
· Change the fan turn on temperatures for a 160Â° thermostat.
· Program the transmission to perform similar to a shift kit (1994 and newer). and delete the dreaded Torque Management
· Power program the car for use with premium octane gasoline.
· Remove the top speed limiter.
· Correct the speedometer and transmission for gear and tire changes.
· Correct for the use of a larger throttle body.
· Change idle settings and restore drivability with cam installs.
· Correct for larger injectors.
· Correct for larger displacement (383, 396, etc....).
. Improve mileage especially on the 99 and newer trucks.
· And more! Just ask if you want something done that isn't listed.
The bold stuff would connect closely to making significantly more than the stock 210HP of the '89 motor.
Stock TBI with simple aftermarket 180* chip will support aprox 280 hp. Course you have to mod the engine make the HP first
Yes there are lots of things you can do to make more power. TBI can be made to support 450 HP with a 750 CFM throttle body and the right injectors and chip
A good place to start is here :CFM-Tech Read all the links in yellow on the bottom left corner of the page. it will give you a better understanding of what you are dealing with.
Well the car sells man lied and told me my K5 had a strong 350. Well i made it 10 miles from town and the engine wouldn't crank. So we pulled it w/ a chain to my automotive school. Pulled the whole drivetrain. We took off the intake it was full of sludge and shavings. Pulled the heads one was cracked. A small piece of a pistion head was missing. We drained the oil you could see all the water in it. It was more of a sludge. Looked like milk shake. The tranny fluid smelled burn't.
Separate names with a comma.