Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 k5 Trazer build "The Dirty Girl" *Tubed front/taper, full hydro steer*

Discussion in 'The Driveway (build threads)' started by muddermilitia, Jan 10, 2007.

1. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

EDIT:For those of you first reading this now, this is a very long thread that is now 6 years old lol. The build plan changed a few times during the course of this thread but if you have the time to read it, I think you will enjoy it. So without further ado....

Well after seeing all the build threads floating around, I've decided that I should start my own so that I can keep all my modifications in one place.

This is my first 4x4 and its also my first project vehicle. Here's some pics of the truck and the different stages that it has gone through.

First mod: four weeks after buying truck for $850. 35X12.50R15 Trxus Mts and front fender trimming

[​IMG]

Next stage: 4" lift, some cutting to rear quarter and rear bumper ends cut off
    [​IMG]

Third Stage: Body swap. Chopped off body in preparation to put on pickup cab here's a few pics of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here I have painted the front clip and have tapped off where I planned to cut the doors into half-doors (I have not cut them yet)
    [​IMG]

Fourth Stage: I am currently at this stage right now.

The plans include: 1-ton axles (5.13 gears, detroit front, detroit rear)
    52" front springs with B-52 mounts and 7.25" shackles
    64" rear springs with DIY 7" shackles and zero rates
    Swap out the T-case, I'm now thinking a doubler might be the way to go
    Crossover Steer with hydro assist added later
    Finish up rear flatbed with some tube work
    Finish up rollcage, adding a few things to it
    Mount up my Warn XD9000i winch and build custom front bumper
    Cut out rockers and replace with 2X3 rect. tubing
    wheels: 16"steelies with weld-on beadlocks, Tires: 38.5X15" boggers, or possibly 39.5X13.5" Iroks
    So here is what it looks like now With the 64"s recently installed

[​IMG]

I will add some more pics later on tonight. Im starting on the 52" spring swap this weekend

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Look who`s a cool kid now:rolleyes: ....Nice build up, keep it going...

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you have now reached the point where it is easier to list what is left unmodified from what you originally bought then it is to list the new stuff.

I am down to frame, bed, trans(700R4), and front clip, and I am getting ready to start tapering the the bed and front clip.:doah:

keep the pics coming, it looks good.

4. muddermilitia

Alright some more pics.
    Here's my Warn XD9000i that's sitting in my basement right now :doah: eventually it will find its way onto my truck
    [​IMG]

Here's the Dana 60 that Im putting in. I bought it practically finished. It already has 5.13 gears, detroit locker, 35 spline shafts, brand new loaded calipers. It just needs a pair of drive flanges, U-bolts, and heavy duty diff cover [​IMG]

And here's a pair of bucket seats that Santa brought.
    [​IMG]
    Here they are sitting in the truck (not mounted yet)
    [​IMG]

5. PhilS10HO

PhilS10HO Registered Member

Looking good. How do you like the Trxus M/T's in the snow. I had them on my sami, but never got to drive it in the snow. They were good in everything else i did though. Thinking 35x12.50 on my 87 truck. Thanks.

Phil

6. muddermilitia

I've never wheeled them in the snow, but when the k-5 was my daily driver I drove it to and from work a few times in the snow and they were awesome! No need to put in 4wd. I actually found it hard to fishtail the truck because they got great traction

7. muddermilitia

Alright I started on the 52" spring swap. I got the springs, shocks, front bumper off. Tomarrow I have to dissconnect the brake lines and pull out the front axle.

Any suggestions on how to plug up the lines so I don't leak fluid all over the place?

Any way on to the pics
    [​IMG]

Yea somethings missing here :doah:
    [​IMG]

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Don't. Hang the calipers up somewhere safe with bailing wire or bungee cords, leave them plumbed.

Unless you're changing the brake lines out or something, in which case a small diameter bolt (1/4"? 5/16"?) or the pinchers made expressly for the purpose.

-- A

9. muddermilitia

Man why didnt I think of that? Oh and I couldnt use the pinchers because I have stainless lines and those would crush them. And another question. Will these lines bolt up to the Dana 60 once I put it in?

10. dremu

IIRC, the new-style lines, yes. ("Old" being like 74ish D44 calipers and "new" being 1980-something 10-bolt ... past that, I don't remember.)

-- A

11. muddermilitia

Alright I got a little more done today. Not much cause I had to watch the Bears game, GO BEARS!!! So I started predrilling some of the rivets and pulled the 10-bolt.
    [​IMG]

And now the 10-bolt sits in its final resting place :D
    [​IMG]

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Your brake lines will work just right on your 60. Didnt have to do 1 thing to swap mine over.

13. muddermilitia

Thanks, Man I cant wait to get that 60 in! I finally wont be afraid of the go pedal :D

14. muddermilitia

So tonight, after a little swearing :mad:, I got all the rivets off the front hangers/body mounts. Tomarrow after work I'm going to work on removing the shackle hangers

15. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well, you can`t update without posting pics :deal:

16. muddermilitia

Yea I know, I forgot the camera.

I will post pics tonight.

17. muddermilitia

Alright NEK5 here's some progress pics. Front mounts off for good and I started pre-drilling the rivets for the shackle hanger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  18. muddermilitia

Alright I've slowed down a little, but I promise an update tomarrow, with pics of course. The shackle hangers have been removed, next thing Im working on is cleaning up the frame to prep for a little paint. And I think I will go ahead and remove the bumpstop mounts too.

Now on to the questions:
    Do you guys think I should get the B-52 mounts for my spring swap, or should I beef up the stock mounts and move them into place. Then use the saved money towards the DIY backbone, which I plan on getting anyway.

Also, I'm debating on what wheels I should get. Im about 90% sure I will go with the 38.5X15 Boggers. But I was thinking of getting a set of cheap black steelies (16") and welding on some beadlock rings from RuffStuff specialties since he has that deal going on now, $190 for a set (plus I won a $100 gift certificate awhile ago)
    or, I could go with h1 wheels and 2" spacers.

Let me know what you think, and updates tomarrow I promise

19. dremu

Spacers scare me... more stuff to check the tightness on, and you hafta pull your wheels to get to them. Weld-on beadlocks would be my preference.

Also, it's a tossup on the front mounts. I built my own, back before Kert was making these. Mine were cheap, by comparison, though they took me a while to do up. Given the opportunity to do it over again, I'd still do my own, cuz I enjoy welding... but for the time spent, Kert's would be simpler :D

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/front-spring-mounts-painted-1.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/front-spring-mount-painted-and-bolted.JPG

If you have the fab skills and a welder, I'd say do a new set yourself ... if not, I don't see beefing up the stock ones. Either move them, per the write up, and run them ... or get Kert's kit and be done with it. His stuff is simple, and beefy, which is a good combination :deal:

-- A

20. muddermilitia

Alright made a little more progress tonight.
    I removed both bumpstop mounts and I started cleaning up the frame in preparation for paint.

Since I know there are some people on here that will be removing rivets soon *cough* NEK5 *cough* I thought I would share with you how I do it. I've been using this method for awhile and I have found that it works really well.

I start out by drilling through the head of the rivet using a small bit like 1/8". Make sure you drill in the center. The better centered the hole is the easier it will be to chisel off the rivet.
    [​IMG]

Then I go back with larger bits (1/4", 3/8", 11/16") and drill out the holes.
    [​IMG]

Then, using the corner of my chisel, I knock the head off. I've gotten to point where it just takes two hits to knock the head off. Then using a punch, knock the rest of the rivet out. Sometimes they are stubborn, so you may have to drill some more of the rivet. I will usually go back with the 1/4" bit and drill more to relieve the pressure, then the rivet should knock out.
    [​IMG]

So after I removed both the bumpstop mounts, I took the grinder to the frame to remove the rust.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008