Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 K5 won't start. Here's what it's doing.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rocko, Oct 23, 2003.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

89 K5 won\'t start. Here\'s what it\'s doing.

Went to start the black and grey 89 blazer yesterday. Turn the ignition and it turns over, but it's not getting fuel to the tbi. I hear a buzzing noise from under the hood, I trace it to a relay on the passenger side firewall.
    It's mounted on a bracket next to the accessory underhood light. It buzzes loudly.
    Does anyone know what this is?

I took the same relay off my other 89 Blazer, plugged it into the black/gray 89 and same thing. Swapped this relay from truck to truck.. the white 89 started with each one.
    Anyone ever had this problem?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: 89 K5 won\'t start. Here\'s what it\'s doing.

Mine did this about 6 months ago. It was the injectors on the TBI unit. I replaced them and it's been good to go ever since. Only difference is I didn't here any buzzing noise. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I believe that is a fuel pump relay... May be a bad oil pressure sensor on the back of the block by the disty.. Those will shut the fuel pump off if they see no oil pressure or go bad... Try swappin those. You gettin spark?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You might also swap out the ignition module under the distributor cap....

I had a similar problem on my '88. Replaced the fuel pump relay, but still couldn't see fuel in the TBI. The ignition module had sort of "disintegrated"...the molex plug that held the two wires was dissolved and the two wires were shorting out (my best guess).

Bottom line....non-shorting wires, new ignition module and new fuel pump relay and everything started right up afterwards... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick reply's guys...
    Greg72.. my truck is doing exactly what you described..
    How much is an ignition module and fuel relay? any ballpark estimates?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Should be less than $50 for the relay and ignition module.

Those are two common failure points on the later trucks, so having them as spares in the glovebox would be a good idea regardless......

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was so happy when I permenantly eliminated that source of failure by putting my MSD box in my truck.

Even so, an ignition module can be tested. Take it to your local Autozone. Tell them to get test lead MA, type 07 into the tester and plug it in an press start. That ignition module is Wells part number DR 140 and costs $26 just for reference.

If both trucks started with the relay, it's good.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The oil pressure sensor you speak of actually works in the reverse of what you said. As long as the pressure switch feels oil pressure it will allow the fuel pump to continue pumping should the fuel pump relay go bad.

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Update...
    Still won't start... I installed a new ignition module, new fuel pump relay and a new fuel pump...
    Still not getting fuel to the tbi..
    Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? If so.. that's like $90.00 for a new one.. I'm just going to rob peter to pay paul.. I'm going to take the tbi off my white 89.. and swap it onto the gray 89.. I'm hoping this will work.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry if I sound like an a$$, but buy a service manual so you can diagnose the parts before spending money on stuff you don't need. Randomly replacing parts is the absolute worse way to fix an electrical problem.

Most of the parts in question can be checked pretty easily.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you try a little shot of starting fluid? if it fires you know it is a fuel problem. Also did you put a fuel pressure guage on it?

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Does the fuel pump ever cycle? IE, can you hear it run when you initially turn the key on? If you hear it turn on do the injectors squirt fuel?

If you can't hear the fuel pump then it is either the switch in the column, the fuel pump relay, or the oil pressure switch. If the fuel pump runs but the injectors don't squirt then that is odd. If the fuel pump runs and the injectors initially squirt but don't squirt while cranking then it probably isn't getting a signal that the engine is turning over.

You can bypass the fuel pump relay and the oil pressure switch using a loose lead somewhere on the driver's side firewall. I forget which one it is but somebody else probably knows.

My Dad's 89 pickup had the switch in the column go bad but it was intermittent.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i have some injectors and a fuel pressure regulator at my parents house....i could send them to you if you want, it would be toward the end of the month before i will be out there again...

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Steve.. that would be cool.. I will be in Maine until Dec 6.. then I'll be home.. I would really appreciate it.. tell me what you'd want for them.. ie $$$$
    Talk to you later..

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the fuel pump ever cycle? IE, can you hear it run when you initially turn the key on? If you hear it turn on do the injectors squirt fuel?

If you can't hear the fuel pump then it is either the switch in the column, the fuel pump relay, or the oil pressure switch. If the fuel pump runs but the injectors don't squirt then that is odd. If the fuel pump runs and the injectors initially squirt but don't squirt while cranking then it probably isn't getting a signal that the engine is turning over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hear the fuel pump cycle at all.. I can hear it on my white 89 though...
    I've replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel pump and ignition module.. I am getting spark.. and the engine does turn over.. but not getting fuel to the injectors..
    The fuel pump relay is making a buzzing noise when the ignition is turned to acc/on
    Any other ideas?
    And how do you bypass the fuel pump relay? as mentioned above?

16. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

to the top.

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Lets see, when my truck wouldnt get fuel and wouldnt start it was my coolant temp sensor in the manifold. I however could hear my pump cycling, but my injectors made a buzzing sound but no fuel. The temp sensor went bad when the engine was at 210 and the truck was sittin in 30deg air. It thought hot start when it was dead cold so it gave it no fuel. Go figure. It was like 20 bucks at pepgirls.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

One other thing, have u put a NOID light on the injectors to see if they are even getting an inpulse to fire?

19. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks K20... I appreciate the suggestions.. I have become frustrated.. and took it to a highly referred shop by my house. I'll let you know what it was with the truck..

20. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Update : 89 K5 won\'t start. Here\'s what it\'s doing.

Well.. I took it to a shop.. I got tired of dicking with it... freaking trucks just piss me off..
    Anyway, I told them what I did, replace fuel pump, fuel pump relay, checked the fuses for Crank, ECM, put a voltage checker on the fuel pump lead, fuel injectors, I was getting power, but no fuel.

Well.. the shop (Let's just say, I'd use them again and again in the future and I'd highly recommend them), they checked the computer, said it was fluctuating the voltage coming out of the computer, they took two day's checking the truck over, just when they thought it was the computer and were going to replace it, the shop called me and told me one of their tech's went ahead and checked all the fuses in the fuse block.. he found the <font color="blue"> Horn/Dimmer </font> fuse was blown... he replaced it and the truck fired right up..
    Turn's out the vehicle's security system is somehow wired into the horn/dimmer fuse.. Oh well.. at least the shop told me they found the problem and didn't try to railroad me with installing a new computer.. only charged me a hour and a half worth of labor and installed a new battery.. all for $163.00 she's running again for now..
    Thanks for all the suggestions..
    In case anyone in the austin area wants a reputable shop to take their truck to.. it's called E&amp;T Automotive in Round Rock.. they are expert's with modern GM vehicles..