Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 stumbling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milpitasV5, Apr 27, 2002.

1. milpitasV5

milpitasV5 Registered Member

I need your guys' help, I am ready to drive this thing off a cliff! When I accelerate it stumbles, but when I start to let off the throttle it picks back up. I have checked the timing and its alright, just decided to replace the cat after 198,000, no difference, and the code scanner says theres nothing wrong. Any one have any input on where to go besides the cliff? I am leaning twords a timing advance problem but don't know where to look with the TBI/computer system.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Try changing your fuel filter it may be clogged, They should be changed once a year for best performance.

3. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem, check out your cap and rotor, the tab on the rotor could be fouled, or the inside of the cap. Good luck.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you done a visual on the injectors? With the air cleaner removed and the truck idling you can look down the throttle body and check the spray pattern under the injector tips. Clean and functioning injectors will have a fine cone shaped mist coming out. Anything that doesn't look like a fine mist means the injectors are dirty or malfunctioning.

Rene

5. milpitasV5

I am not sure what a good patteren looks like. What I saw was fine out of the injector and around the sides of the intake I could see small streams flowing down the walls, is this OK, I have never changed the injectors, 200K. I would always like to spend money in parts rather than bring it to a shop.
    Replacing the injectors is only two hours of shop labor, well worth it. What I also did was unplug one injector when it was idling. One side stalled the engine, the other didn't???

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I recently had the same problem you are having, I replaced the cap and rotor and also the fuel filter and now my problem is gone. My fuel filter was dirty as hell I noticed once I took it off. My cap and rotor were definately toast also.

7. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

check your injector spray patern? next do a full and complete tune i.e. cap rotor plugs wires all fuel filters air filter do the hole 9 yards anddont be cheap your trucks got lots a miles on it all of these done correctly should clear up your problem if not you have just eliminated all that was just done and no it wouldnt have been wasted $$$$$$$$$$$$. good luck

8. milpitasV5

I just got done doing the cap and rotor. I noticed a ton of rust on the shaft the rotor goes onto. I rubed it with a little sand paper and sliped it all back together. I also changed the fuel filter and air filter.
    It now actually ACCELERATES!!!

Thank you all for your help, you a saved me a lot of $$$

Nick

9. milpitasV5

I just got done doing the cap and rotor. I noticed a ton of rust on the shaft the rotor goes onto. I rubed it with a little sand paper and sliped it all back together. I also changed the fuel filter and air filter.

Nick

10. milpitasV5

Nick

PS Is there anything I could put on the rotor shaft to keep it from rusting. I don't know about the anti corrosive compund you use for electrical fitings?

11. milpitasV5

My broser went crazy, sorry for the three replys. I am happy my truck is running, but now I have to work on the computer, if its not one thing its another

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For refernce the spray from the injectors should be conical. Like an upside down cone, fanning out from the injector tip.

Rene

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Happy to hear you got it running better
    And....
    Welcome to CK5 !