Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 Sub tailgates...check your cables

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by will89, Nov 14, 2002.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

On 89 subs there are support cables on each end of the tailgate. The cables attach to the vehicle with a thing that looks like a smaller door striker. This door striker looking thing has a nut on the back that can fall off. As far as I can tell it is put on at the factory with loc-tite, or the nut is spot welded, and then the surrounding compartment is welded up. So, when the loc-tite or spot breaks the nut falls off it falls down inside the body panels and you cannot recover it.

Now your tailgate only has support on one side and it really tweaks it when you 200lb buddy sits on it. And this is one of the more sacred sites on the burb. This is where I change into my fishing waders, watch the sunset after a surf, drink my cheap beer, contemplate life..etc..

So the nut is lost? Big deal buy another right? Sure, but how can you put it on? You can take of the brake lens and everything behind it but you still can't get to the threads of the striker to put the nut on...Same thing with the interior. You can take the carpet of of the wall but there is still nowhere to get in!

Right next to the striker there is the switch that turns on the interior light when you open the tailgate- You can get a couple fingers in there but you still can't get to the threads.

You guys should check these things and try to tighten them before the nuts fall off. I found a half decent fix using a 7/16's 1 1/2" fine thread bolt from home depot. I bored out the hole just enough to take the bolt. It seems like it will hold for the long term but its only holding in the hole -no nut on back so it won't hold forever. If I had only tried to tighten the original cable attachment when it was loose.... Hope I'll save some of you guys from a headache!

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I broke one of my cables while a friend and I were standing on the tailgate. I jsut went ahead and replaced both of them.

3. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

So, how exacty DO you get to that nut? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Drill an access hole?

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif