Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 surges at all speeds!!!!! no codes???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BiggerRigger, Dec 4, 2002.

1. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

this thing has me stumped! I have changed the cap,rotor,button,plugs,O2sensor,oil,and so on to try and figure this thing out. It will surge at all speeds above idle but at WOT it seams to go along just fine.
    Something else is that say you shift in to 2nd gear(3 speed manual)and start to give it hell it starts to go sloooooooow then bamb its like you just hit the NOS button and it goes like hell like it has hit a power band or the likes. Is this normal or is this related to the miss problem?
    I should also say that the plugs came out fine in color and were not wore down to much.
    1989 gmc jimmy
    5.7l
    manual tranny
    10 bolts on both ends
    161,000 miles and 22mpg on the freeway...go figure

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

On a guess, I'd say your TPS might be bad. Do you have scanning ability? If not, you will definitely need it to troubleshoot these kind of issues with your truck.

I have used, and recommend, WinALDL. It's a free download, and the cable costs about $10 in radio shack parts to make; as long as you can solder.

Thomas.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sticky or malfunctioning EGR (clogged passages) might be a cause too. EGR is a steady speed only device, if its introduced too much or at the wrong time, you'll have driveability problems.

BUT, you gotta diagnose this stuff, it gets real expensive to throw parts at an unknown problem.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Just a guess, but have you changed the fuel filter later. My 89 did that for a while. I usually do a fuel filter change at LEAST once a year.

The problem sounds painfully similar to when a filter would plug up on my 72 Chevelle. Hammer the gas, and just when you think the car is gonna do nothing, you're roasting tires.

Don't know if you've tried it or not, but it's not that expensive or difficult.

KP

5. BiggerRigger

yes I have downloaded the program and I am building the cable but cant find all the parts at the local sh!t shack so I have to go back in a coulple days to see if they are in.
    No I have not checked the EGR valve is this a cheap part to replace?
    Yes I have replaced the fuel filter back in Aug.
    One more thing I should add is that if your in first gear going down the road say at about 10mph and keep your foot in the same place the miss will start out real lite and then get worse to the point that the whole truck will go whump,whump,whump like a top fueler till you give it some gas and then it smoothes right out like a top fueler. And as cool as this sounds and looks to my wife(she says SHE has lots of power right honey? and I say yup)and neibors I am sure this has something to do with gov-junk being on its way out. And yes I do try and not do this anymore.
    I should have said something about this before but I had to drive it again to remember just what it was doing.
    So any more ideas?
    Aaron

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Hey I have an 89 K1500 and my truck does the same thing in mildly cold weather when i first drive it after it sits all night. I let it warm up to 160 then drive but it does it anyway so idk what it is i have replaced everything but the EGR so i will try it because i dont know when it was changed last. I have replacec the TPS the IDL air Control and PCV and like i said everything else. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

could also be bad computer chip.
    i just had the same thing happen in my 87 tbi 454, turned out to be the chip.
    tell's the computer to go rich, lean, rich, lean.
    had a hell of a time finding it becouse it would not set a code.
    dave

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The EGR Valve will run you between $50-$75 to replace. The hardest part will be sifting through the bag of orfice plates to find the one you are after, then fitting it into the valve.

I would suggest holding off on most everything till you get WinALDL running. It's worth it. You could always pull the EGR valve off and clean it. Chiltons or Haynes will tell you what to look for when it's pulled. That's a freebie that you can try.

9. BiggerRigger

Is there any way to test this chip or do you just go get one from the junkyard?
    Or would you suggest getting one of the after market ones?
    Keep in mind that I will be moveing back to Ohio in late may and I would like to keep all the gas mileage that I have now 22mpg freeway
    Aaron

10. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Your chip could be bad, but it's unlikely. It's more likely one of the problems already suggested like an EGR issue, TPS problem, could even be an IAT or IAC issue. None of these would throw a code. With WinALDL, you will be able to diagnose it though.

I would second taking the EGR valve off and cleaning it up real good. If it's sticking, it'll cause your issue. It's fairly easy to remove, clean, and reinstall too.

Thomas.

11. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your EGR valve is bad. Unplug it and see if it surges. Mine did the same thing I unplugged the EGR and it stopped surging but wouldn't pass emissions. I bought a new one and no more problems. I just priced an EGR valve at Autozone.com one was $32 and another was $38 depending on your oem # . Hope this helps Good luck

12. BiggerRigger

what part of this do I unplug the vac line or the little black box that the EGR vac line goes to I meen the weather pac connector or the vac line?
    Thanks for every bodys help sofar you guys have taught me alot now if someone can teach me how to spell we would be doing real fine!

13. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, the vac line that is connected to the top Of the EGR.

14. BiggerRigger

Well I have done as I have been told sofar and nothing has helped. Pulled the EGR all the way out and started it as said by someone before and gave her hell no soot or junk came out and it was not pluged up like someone said it could be. So I checked it again with the finger over hole trick and it will hold all day till you remove your finger. I pushed in on the diaphram and it feels smooth and does not hang up. I unpluged the EGR and started the truck(no change) let it heat up to temp( no change)
    What else can I try?
    Oh yea I changed the chip out and it does the same thing and I know it is a good chip cause I took it from the neibors rig and it runs like a top.
    Aaron

15. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I'll ask around and hopefully get a better solution.

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Put a vacuum tester on it...could a leaky intake manifold gasket.