Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 TBI 350 - self-aligning rocker arms?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jun 20, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Does an 89 TBI truck motor use self-aligning rocker arms? I know my motor still has the old style intake manifold bolt setup. I've been looking into some 1.6 roller rockers and wonder if I need the self-aligning or not. Also, what would be better? The Holley TBI or the Edelbrock MPFI system that uses the stock TBI? Which one is more reliable or should I stick to the original GM TBI? Thanks for any help.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 5.7 in the trucks didn't get rollerized til 96 AFAIK. My buddies 89 has regular stamped steel rockers and a flat tappet cam.

I would stick with factory parts...but that's just my personal preference.

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've heard rumours that when they rank out of flat tappet motors, trucks got roller cams--which from what I hear was well before 1996. You can be sure that ALL 1996 and newer 350s are roller cam, but 87-95, from what I hear, can go either way.

My personal experience with these motors says that most are flat-tappet, but others I've talked to online say otherwise.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just pulled apart a '88 350 TBI truck motor and yes it did have the self aligning rocker arms. I think the TBI heads require them.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

1.6 rockers are about the same price as a cam change once I buy the pushrods too, would the rockers or cam be a better choice. THe only problem is that the motor has 195,000 miles on it, so is tearing the motor half apart worth it?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if its running good, a spare motor acquisition and long running build up (as you get the money) is a nice option too! (if it ain't broke, don't fix it IMO)

If you can spend the time to build a motor the way you want, and spend the money you need to, I think you'll be happier. Full roller rockers along with headers are two things I would do if I didn't want to wait, since both can be used in most any subsequent engine buildup, whereas a cam can be kind of iffy.

Don't really like the idea of only going halfway on a motor with that many miles...my theory is, as soon as you mess with something that old, that runs good, something is going to fail : )

7. fbsadmin

fbsadmin Registered Member

I've torn my '89 350 TBI apart a few times now, and it does has self aligning rockers.