Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

89 TBI 5.7L cough ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 30, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know locally of an 89 with TBI 5.7L in it and sometimes upon acceleration it will cough out the top end once or twice, pretty much only from dead stop normal acceleration

any idea what might cause such ?
    im gonna go with new wires and check manifold vacuum with the guage

also what things can i do or check out on the engine to help it along ? already did replace the plugs and filters.

thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You say through top end, as in throttle body? Timing perhaps /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Disconnect the wire to distributor and check it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You say through top end, as in throttle body? Timing perhaps /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Disconnect the wire to distributor and check it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yep out the TBI backfire pop on acceleration sometimes, now and then only under load.

check it in what way with wire disconnected ? you lost me. hehe
    im used to wrenching on carbureted v8 engines, these TBI ones have a wierd HEI and just arent the same as im used to,

thanks

4. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    check it in what way with wire disconnected

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a wire connector on side of distributor . This runs to computer stuff, to advance or retard. You must pull this before setting base timing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i have heard of people on here saying to disconnect a wire or something going to the distributor, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but everytime i disconnect anything ay all from the dist, it won't fire at all /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It's supposed to be a way to make sure the base timing is set at 0 degrees, haven't messed with mine anymore yet though, as i got it running real good with out doing this, just took alittle longer i would imigine. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a wire connector on side of distributor . This runs to computer stuff, to advance or retard. You must pull this before setting base timing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on these TBI's Paul, they are solid connectors with multiple wires going to them, if you pull either of them the whole thing won't fire at all,
    There's supposed to be a wire going to the dist plugs somewhere on the firewall, that supossedly has a quick disconnect on it, but i have yet to find it. That is "supposedly" the wire you disconnect for base timing check.

7. pauly383

Thanks for the clarification TJ. I heard it on here before, but it does sound like timing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll be looking for a tan wire with a black stripe that has an inline WeatherPack connector. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll be looking for a tan wire with a black stripe that has an inline WeatherPack connector. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif THERE IT IS !! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yep, what harry said! It is on the firewall under the brake-booster! Just disconnect it, start up the truck, set base timing to 0* and turn the truck off and reconnect...If it is still missing after you correctly set timing, do a basic tune up; cap, rotor, plugs, wires...Should take car of any misses that could be ingnition related..

Chris

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, now i gotcha, yeah instead of having to pull a vacuum advance hose you have to unplug the wire since these are electronic advance, yep.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i replaced the cap and wires and i found one big problem, #5 wire was almost completely ripped apart near the boot at the plug end of the wire, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif the wires were the original GM numbered ones with wire loom wrap and all the clips intact and the whole deal,

the thing is 3.42 axle and 700r4, that first gear is extremely quick, then it kinda doesnt have any power to get going good in second gear and after unlesss you really really get on the pedal hard excessively, runs good but seems like it doesnt put out the low end torque it should have

also i went through and tightened up all the TBI torx head screws and the three 1/2" TBI unit mounting bolts, everything was loose, some were even finger loose.,

i see the same thing happen with carb screws so thats why i thought of checking the TBI unit screws.

apparently this same problem exists with TBI units as did with carbs

engine is doing better now, just wonder about the lack of torque it seems to produce

but then it does have 170k on it, and blue smoke puffs now and then lower RPM

thanks