Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'89 to '90 TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Catman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Catman

Catman Registered Member

\'89 to \'90 TBI

Holley makes a TBI unit that promises 25% more HP and is 50 state legal. My question is why are they for the '87 to '89 models and not for '90's? Did something change in one year that makes the stock unit better? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: \'89 to \'90 TBI

I think the TPS plug changed from 89 to 90, if you splice in a 90+ connector, it will work on a 90+ TBI truck(they changed to a different throttle cable set-up in the mid 90's though)

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing the Holley TB will do is to give you more air flow threw the TB which nets you more high end HP's.

They holley might net you some more mid range HP's too but most of the gain is the high end horsepower. The stock TB's don't flow enough air to support the motor at higher RPM's.

You can also swap on a TB from a BBC onto a SBC to help get the same benefit. For a truck the Holley TB is kind of pointless. Trucks need power on the low end which a stock TB will provide.

What are your plans with the motor? What do you do with the truck?

Harley

4. Catman

Catman Registered Member

The truck is a daily driver and weekend trail rig. Future motor plans are still being looked at and it has to be smog legal intill I can get out of Calif.. Thanks for the info folks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't worry about the Holley TB if it is a DD trail truck. If you have future plans for a healthier motor look at getting a healthier injection setup. TPI, aftermarket multiport, etc. Multiport injection is where it is at for power.

Harley