Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8inch lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thinking of going with a 8inch spring lift.on my 79 k20 with dana 60 up front . what kind of problems should i expect to run into when installing it? or should i go with a 6?

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

As far as the front goes 6" springs will probaly flex alot better. and if you need more lift than that go with some ORD shackles that give you 1" or a set of ORD Zero-Rates that can give you another inch. In the rear, most people on this site like the shackle flip set up for flex. What size tire are you planning for?

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

8" springs are not the most flexible. Problems you will run into are driveshafts length and angles of the pinion's. I am running a 6" with zero rates front and rear as well as a 1" body lift to get my 8". The 6" are not that flexible either but work for what I do. I didn't have any problems with my driveshafts due to I am running a fixed yoke 203 but still there are others that will need to have their shafts extended. I had to extend my front shaft when I moved the front axle forward 1.5" but was fine until I did that.

4. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Banned

there's this guy named builder. An eight-inch lift wouldn't even make him flinch.

5. KrackMonkey

KrackMonkey Banned

That guy is a legend in my parts. Word is, he comes through once a year, but I seem to miss him every time he comes through.

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i dont think the ORD shackels give you 1 inch lift, i think they are 1 inch longer than stock shackles to keep the spring eye off the frame and only provide about a 1/4 inch of lift

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

that is correct info on the shackles !!!!! i have them and do agre

8. Larry McMurray

Larry McMurray Banned

Don't he drive that little rig he nickname Topher? Or is this a different guy?

9. double_penetration

double_penetration Banned

Daisey, I got 8 inches for you.

10. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is classy. Get a clue! :waytogo:

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Shackles arent the best thing to use if yer looking for lift because they angle yer pinion down. I'm working on an 8" lift for my truck, 4" rear springs with ORD shakle flip and 1" zero rate(9" total rear), I figure after a lil bit the springs will sag down and even out with the front 8" springs. If the rear sits higher I migth consider a set of 1" zero rates there as well.

A well built high angle shaft will work just fine. High Angle DS is definately top of the list but they arent cheap. Check out http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/ . I have seen some of there work and its pretty decent for the price. Bout 325 for a high angle shaft with 1350 yokes.