Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8spd. 465???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

can't link it,but check out advanced adapters site.look for Ranger lll torque splitter.if i'm reading it right,all gears have an overdrive.$1500 i think.it may be of interest to those thinking of an NV4500 swap.post opinions.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I'd probably just go the NV4500 route.

Is the NV4500 7.5" longer than the 465? That just seems like the shifter, at least for my 205, would be at a weird angle to the driver.

You've already got 8 gears with a transfercase, and although even more sounds appealing, the only reason I can see wanting something like that is to run really low gears and end up with OD, (partly out of necessity) which the 4500 will do. Won't make the tranny gear spacing any better for shifting, but would probably help out somewhat towing, where the gear splits are just not right in some cases.

The advantage of a gear vendors unit would be that you'd only modify the rear driveshaft, and you don't have to move your shifter hand to gear split.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just picked one up off of ebay a month ago for 750 bucks, brand new in box from a guy who didn't end up using it. I don't think its worth 1500 bucks new, so in that case I would go with a 4500. In my case, it was a heck of a deal, much cheaper than going NV4500 and only a few minor modifications needed. My truck is 100% more enjoyable to drive now that the rpm's are much more reasonable and I can split a couple shifts to accelerate quicker. Bottom line, if you can get a real good deal on one, its worth it, but not worth the 1500 AA is asking IMO.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd want it the other way around, be able to use the splitter in and gear, 2 or 4wd. GV won't make their OD/UD so that you could put it btwn a trans and t/c. I've asked at SEMA, several times.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats stupid. I would want it between the trans and Tcase as well. Sure you won't find a huge use for the 4hi in OD but it would be nice to ahve the option. Or even ifyou find that 6.55:1 is just too low but 2nd gear is too tall.

6. BlueBlazer

The Ranger III I have goes between the bellhousing and the trans FYI.

7. dyeager535

I'm basing what I say off of what I've seen with others here...use the t-case to split your gears, if you want OD go with a tranny that has it already, and run whatever gears you want in the axles.

I've never really figured out the gear splits on say a 465 in 4hi/4lo so it may be pointless to use the t-case to split gears. (although I've heard of people using 2nd gear with 4lo for instance)

From my own limited off-road usage, I need lower gears in the rear to get better compression braking, but if I do that, OD is something I'd want so the engine wasn't screaming at me all the time on the road.

On-road you don't end up staying in 1,2 or 3 for any amount of time, so splitting those *on-road* is pointless unless you tow a lot, and a lot of weight, from my experience. I know my dads GV unit isn't effective enough...the OD should be much more aggressive, somewhere in the 30%+ range...unloaded, RPM's can be MUCH lower than the GV allows.

Off-road, it's obviously better to listen to those that have more experience...I guess if the gears work out just perfect with that unit in place, so you don't have to keep shifting in and out, it would work great.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much did it move your shifter back?

9. BlueBlazer

7.5 inches, much better position for the shifter IMO, especially if you had short arms. The OD unit shifter is just to the left and forward. It is in the perfect place, could be a little longer though.

10. BlueBlazer

Good luck splitting gears with a non-synchroed t-case.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Awesome...I have been wondering about using a Ranger III, there were a couple on Pirate a while back for really cheap, with almost no use on them. Are there any bad side affects so far? I have heard that the unit is kinda noisy, but thats about it, and I wouldn't even mind it too much.
    I would like to go with one because I like my 465, and it would be nice to keep it. I don't tow but I do drive on the hwy alot, so it sounds like the perfect combo.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Might allow you to shorten the 465 shifter to get the throws reasonable as well........

13. BlueBlazer

Kind of noisy in OD, and sometimes grinds going from OD to D (putting trans in neutral when shifting eliminates this). The noise is not bad at all and could easily be hidden with a little extra padding under the carpet in that area.

14. dyeager535

Who actually wheels shifting gears? I was under the impression the people that want more gears or need more, want to have the right gear to select when the time comes, and essentially leave it there, as opposed to wanting to row through 8 gears while trying to go over a rock ledge. :confused:

15. BlueBlazer

Who buys a torque splitter/OD unit for wheeling? Its for on road use.

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

they do make an underdrive version of the Ranger, so an offroader needing more crawl could use that. from AA's site, it sounds like the exact same, but with under vs. overdrive.

I don't know if I would always go through all 8 gears, most likely just go 2-4 as usual then into OD. But if you wanted to split...the possibility is always there.

17. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Let me get this 100% straight. With this Ranger III, OD does not work in 4hi? How is that the case? From the limited size pic I found (if anyone has more pics, lets see), it goes between the clutch and the tranny, so when you slip it into "OD", it should work in 4hi as well.

$1500 is a lot, there is another site that sells it for $1340. Its not cheap, but if you have a well built tough rig w/sm465 and want that OD for highway cruise..its not so bad.

So you'd have to shorten the rear driveshaft and lengthen the front?

You guys think it would handle a 454? I want to use my 4x4 for towing mostly....hence why I would like/need an OD.

18. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

It would work in 4 hi, but why would you want to do that? Kind of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back, IMO.

What kind of tq is your 454 putting out? I think the AA site lists a max tq capacity for it.

19. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

I don't see the need to use it in 4hi, I was just curious. What I am looking for is an OD trans for highway. If I end up going to a 38 or a 40" tire, I might not "need" it, but the thing will still rev at 70mph.

The 454 should be healthy, but not crazy. They list 425ft-lbs...

At the same time, although it currently works good (but leaks), I am thinking about having the 465/205 rebuilt with new seals and whatever parts they may need.

An NV 4500 might be a good option at this point, but really, the costs of parts/swap and time are also high.

20. BlueBlazer

When did I ever say this? It does in fact go in between the bellhousing and trans, thus it can be used in 4hi, 2hi, and 4lo.

Any time there was snow on the ground, I had my dually in 4hi and used OD all the time.