Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9/11

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 24, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anybody ever think about it?

I was at a dinner last night, someone made a speech about it.

Anyone ever spend a few minutes remembering what you were doing and what you were thinking, then what you did that day?

I heard about the first plane and thought it was a sad accident and dismissed it. Strange to think about what I my first thoughts were when I heard "A plane hit the world trade center" and think about what they were later that day.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I do all he time, when I worked my last job I was just coming home. I saw the pic on the msn home page then say the title in the off topic forum here and I spent the day in the chatroom with many of our brother and sisters. then was off for a few on the cell with family seeing where or if my brother was going anywhere.

plus some customers still ask why we have flags at the registers /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah I think about it all the time, too, but I don't really too often stop and remember it. It's not to often that I do back and remember all the things I was thinking that day and how I felt through the day. I sometimes think about what I did then, and what would I do today? If 9/11 gave us anything, it gave us the pause to think "Maybe this really is happening" during something we would think would never happen.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recall exactly where I was when I heard the first reports. I had just dropped my wife off at her work and was heading home and heard it on the radio. Would have been around 10 am Eastern time. It was sunny and warm that morning (here).

I got home and saw the second tower fall live on CNN. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifThen I tried to explain as much as I could to my daughter who was watching with me.

I then spent about 4 hours in the chat here...

Sad day, and I do think of it often.

rene

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I remember that day quite well. I felt stunded that it could happen in the US. It was so wierd, they shut down a local shopping mall. No offence intended, but I couldn't (and still don't) see why the hell they'd close down a shopping mall in Rapid City, SD.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I was in bed and my mom called from work and woke me up. We had a late day at school. By the time I went to pick my friend up for school the second plane had hit and the first tower fell. Then I knew it was serious /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think about it quite often /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif like rene i remember exactly what i was doing i had just woke up and was getting the kids ready for school when i saw it on tv

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was leaving school to get my braces removed and my mom told me that the country was under attack. Nobody at school knew (I was a senior in high school). When I got back to school, everyone was glued to the TV screen. Hell, everyone was even at the doctor's office.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i had a friend die that day, so i too often think of it..

never forget the moment. i was actually on vacation, fishing and golfing in Tupper Lake, NY. we where on the golf course and stopped in the clubhouse for a soda when i saw it. needless to say, that vacation was ruined, spent 2 days glued to the radio and ended up coming home 3 days early.

never forget /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

think about it almost every day.

terrorists... kill em all.

j

11. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

I think about it all the time.I had just come home from work and happened to be watching tv so I saw it all from the begging.That night at work the entire place was silent and everyone was still glued to a tv.
    I don't mean this in a bad way,I think america has done alot to improve our security and it woke alot of people up,but honestly I wonder when and where the next attack will be (ofcourse I hope I'm wrong & it never happens)
    Bruce

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i remember exactly what i did that day like the others. i got up and saw it on the tv, and was like "WTF". i went to my first stop of the day and everyone was talking about it and one guy said something about the sears tower and i was like "now WTF". second stop, same. on my way to the third stop my truck died, damn terrorists got my truck too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif towed it home and finished my route and every place was talkig about it like normal /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody ever think about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Why we are where we are in this day and age and think that a few people who have a desire to lead this country are constantly talking trash about a person who's in the position that had to deal with something like that and the ensuing fallout.

Maybe those folks should really reflect on that day before they decide they want to lead us, can they deal with it?

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

How can anyone not think about it all the time. Our lives and freedoms have changed drastically since that day.

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's always in the back of my head. The thing that still bugs me is that most people have already dismissed that day as "the past" and forget about the impact it had on them at the time. It's like 99% of the folks out there treat 9/11 like a disturbing movie they saw on TV- it bugged them for a while but by now the effects have worn off. Sad.....

I was on my way to the shop listening to the radio in the truck. The DJs interrupted the song and said that a plane had just crashed into the Word Trade Center. I pictured a Cessna or other small plane and didn't think much of it. When I got to work the lads had the TV on and only then did I understand how bad things were.....

We were all glumly sitting around and all of a sudden a scramble call came in- someone had ripped through a 2" 60 PSI gas line. We responded to the call and were met by a snarky, rude contractor who started mouthing off the minute we arrived. After I got the line squeezed off he was on my ass about how much the repair would cost and how long it would take. I finally turned around and told him that today was probably not a good day to be lipping me off and that if he carried on I was going to have him removed from the jobsite. Looking back, he was probably just as upset as I was about the WTC....... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think about it frequently. I have never seen anything like it before. I remember seeing video clps of Desert Storm, and it was the first thing on tv that was real going on at the moment I had seen. I recall the missles, and they were cool I thought, going down the evelvator shaft to blow up. Weird how this act of war was so different to me. Maybe because I was in Jr High too, I didn't get the full impact.

Fastforward to 9/11, and my mom woke me up to tell me a plane hit the first building. I was like, dang, that sucks, but I thought accident. I was up though, so I got up, and watched tv with her. I remember then the second plane. I was watching the Today Show. I remember hearing "Oh no, a second plane" which you could see, because of the full skyline view they had going to show the smoke. Then it hit, and they were all stunned, and saying "I can't believe this, this isn't going on." Someone said "God help us" and the we are under attack mumbling began, and I thought, oh crap, we are at war. I thought maybe this was just the start. I expected to hear about dozens of attacks.

I forgot to call in for work, I was subbing for my job I was so stunned. I spent the whole day at home watching tv, and on here in shock. That night my Grandma was in the hospital, and we thought dying because she was really in bad shape. They had it on in room (it was with 4 patients one of those big rooms they put you in for recovery before they move you else where). She was totally confused, and the news made her ramble on about WWII. And to me, it almost seemed like WWIII might have been beginning. Weird how you have certain thoughts go through your head....

Only other thing that I recall was I talked to Ratch on AIM, and you were freaking out. I was too. I can't believe how close you were.

I still see pictures of that day, and it makes me tear up.... think it always will too....

17. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I've not only not forgotten, I'm still angry. I'm mad that some back-assward, religious fanatic retards could affect our lives as Americans so much. Our political hacks who cynically use the tragedy to further their own purposes piss me off just as much. The power blackout of August had me thinking..."Not Again!" I think of 9/11 every day. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I still remember I was in class, heard the principal tell us that the first tower fell over the PA. Then he came back on and told us about the second tower. After hearing rumors about the pentagon and Pensylvannia, we thought we could be hit. Both Kodak and Xerox are located here in Rochester, and were considered to be high targets for terrorists.

It was wierd not hearing any planes flying over for 3 days, and then when they were allowed to fly again, just the sound of one flying overhead was enough to scare the heck out of me.

I still have flags on my truck, and they are'nt coming down any time soon. God bless the USA! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

-pete

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was thinking last night, there's almost no other day I can remember so much of. All my commuting days seem to be the same, but I think I'll never forget that day from 8:46a to 7p or 8ish that night, when I was sitting on a train that noone knew when it would take us home. It was so wierd sitting on the train drifting in and out of exhaustion, like spending a day hearing the impossible over and over. Kind of expecting more.
    Every now and then, but not too often, I try to put myself into the mindset I had that day, and I'm still shocked and thinking "How can this be real".
    I remember IM being the only way I could get in touch with my wife at first, then I hung out in CK5 chat for awhile, there were a bunch of people in there. A girl that sat behind me was freaking out the entire time, my best friend called wanted me to meet him outside to walk over the 59th street bridge through queens to get back to Long Island, but my job asked me to stay. I remember being calm the entire day, but when I finally got through to my wife by voice, I had to go to a closet to stay coherent for the conversation.
    I wasn't really that close, but my best friend was, he actually heard everything from is office.

It's amazing to think about all the things going on that day. While people were trying to get each other out of a doomed building, someone on a plane was saving another building as he said "Let's Roll", while some of us were glued to a TV or desperately trying to get a phone line, a military pilot might have been wondering if he would really have to shoot down an american civilian plane to stop another act of destruction.

I think it's hard to reflect on. I'll never forget, but putting myself back in the mindset I was in back then is not easy to do often, mostly because it changes your mood for the day, wakes up a while of conscious appreciation of the little things.

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I pictured a Cessna or other small plane and didn't think much of it.

[/ QUOTE ] When I first heard it I was sittin in flex(study hall) at school back right chair, room 246. Someone came in late and said as they were gettin outta the car a plane had hit the WTC, i thought same thing, just a small plane. Right as flex was ending and our mornin break started an announcement for all teachers to go to teachers lounge. Not too odd of an occurance, they did that for teacher birthdays and such. I went to my next class (incidentally right across from teacher lounge) to study for a biology test I was gonna have. Well needless to say we didnt have that test that day, we sat and watched TV, I watched both towers fall, and the 2nd plane hit. All live. I can honestly say that as I sat there I have never before or since been filled with so much sadness and so much hate at the same time. Its funny when you look back and remember all the small details from days like that. Much the same as 2/18/01, when my hero died...I remember everything from that day as well. Did 2001 suck or what?