Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9/16" front shackle bolts... done

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az-k5, Jan 10, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

9/16\" front shackle bolts... done

As some may remember I recently found 7/16 grade 8 iant that "gr8" (lame joke I know) I have fixed this problem by using 9/16" bolts, custom sleeves and bushings. It is actually pretty easy read on for the details on how to do it yourself.

Here are the specs on the new CEE shackles and bushing. I found some .75" od .085 wall HREW round tube. The inner diameter is .58" and a 9/16" bolt is .5625" in diameter. I took out the polly bushings chucked up a 13/16 bit in my press and drilled out the original holes (originally a 5/8" or .625") I used a 3/4" bit at first but the tolerances were a little tight due to the poly bushings giving a little so I had to go to a 13/16". They were still tight so I put the sleeves in the freezer and after about 10 mins or so they slid in warmed up fit like a glove. I then drilled out my shackles to a 9/16" bolted everything together and wa-la only one size of bolt for a spare. The bushings are a little thinner now but they are cheap to replace if need be.

PS I got a set of 1/2" drive 9/16" - 1" bits from harborfreight.com for $35 or so to my door, reused my current poly bushings and lift shakcles for this project. (you could do it yourself all new for around $125: that includes 3/8" shackle steel $15, bench top drill press $50, drill bits $35 and bushings $25)

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 9/16\" front shackle bolts... done

Honestly, while I believe this to be a good mod, I'd like to see someone make sleeves or something to go to all 5/8" bolts in front. 9/16" bolts suck, the only way to get them here is Napa, and they want $3-4 each. I can get 5/8 bolts all day long in Grade 8 for $2.69 a pound, and sometimes they're on sale even cheaper!!

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Where are you finding 5/8 for 2.69/lb? I get my 9/16" at $3.00 ea, 5/8 are like $3.75 ea /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    You could use a 7/8" tube with .120 wall or a 13/16" .085 wall (not sure if that exsists though). The front shackle bushings would be so thin then that they would easily ware out in a few months. The rest of the bushings would not be hard at all to modify and use.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Good stuff. I made my own shackles when I swapped in the 73-up springs onto my truck. I want to make some new ones that are closer to stock length (I made them 1" longer) to get rid of some lift. I'm also hoping the springs will sag some. I didn't replace the frame bushings because I figured I would try something like this. Good to know you did all the work for me on tubing size and all. Now I just need to get some new bushings. I have no idea why GM used such small bolts in the first place/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I had also thought about using 5/8" bolts with no sleeve but I don't really like that idea for something that will see street driving.

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What problems were you having with the 7/16" bolts?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where are you finding 5/8 for 2.69/lb? I get my 9/16" at $3.00 ea, 5/8 are like $3.75 ea /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Man, both you and Tim are whacked....I can get grade 8 bolts in any size and length for $.79cent per pound /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blain's Farm and Fleet here in the midwest sells any size bolt up to about 3/4 or 7/8 or so for $2.69 a pound every day price. When they run sales you can get them for $1.49/lb or so, but either way, who can complain at $2.69 a pound, you can get a whole set of shackle bolts for the truck for less than you can buy a couple 9/16" bolts at Napa, although they're coarse thread.

F&F has grade 5s every day for about $1.69/lb. You can find their bolts all over my truck, trans crossmember, adapter to trans, trans mount, front rear spring hanger, body bolts, etc., I got them all there in either grade 5s or 8s at that price!

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have broken one 7/16" bolt on the spring. with longer shackles and a flexy spring, they just dont hold up. ive upgraded my spring eye bushings, but not my frame bushing yet.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I think that is what they cost at the farm supply store here too... And I can even have fine or course thread also.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

o /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had also thought about using 5/8" bolts with no sleeve but I don't really like that idea for something that will see street driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive it every day. It dives better since i did it.

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

FYI - 90 & 91 "V" series trucks, K5's and Sub's have a slightly different rear hanger on the front springs. The shackle is about a 1/2" longer and the lower bolt is 1/2" dia as well. Most lift kit and bushing companies use the same bushing but offer a different (additional) sleeve kit for these applications.

(Credit: U2Slow told me about this)

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That is true and is listed on the ORD website.