Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9.5" 14 Bolt WMS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, May 28, 2006.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Anybody know the difference in axle width on the SFA trucks versus the IFS trucks?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

none as far as I know. IFS rigs still have the dog leg look with the staggered WMS....

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a difference, but I can't remember what. IIRC the 88s were narrower than the OBS. I thought this would be the other way, but a freind mine wanted to make a 6 lug 14sf for the OBS, and had the whole axle for an 88 14sf 6, and the OBS was couple inchs wider. If I had an older axle I would measure, only have the 88+.

4. daleearnhardt01

Oh well we'll see, I got one off ebay for $1 If it is true that they arent close then Im out a buck...

5. daleearnhardt01

Alright well if you have an 88+ axle can you measure it for me? I measured a 8 lug out of a SFA truck and it was 69" from flange to flange...

Ive got several different shaft lengths Im seeing on websites too. I knew that would be the case but it shouldnt be a problem, my buddy put one under his blazer and put 6 lug shafts from an IFS truck into the SFA axle that was 8 lug and although the shafts were different lengths, they were able to make it work..

I need to take the rear tires off his truck and measure it to see how close it is to the 10 bolt under my 98 now..

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well i know the newer (2002- i think) have a wider wms, but it might just be 10b's, the rear is equal to the front, so id guess they are 3" wider. dont know if the newer 9.5s are the same.

edit. i jus reread ur question. ur tryin to put an older axle into a newer truck. as long as it is before the "new" 10b's it should work

7. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

i got a dana 70 srw out of a late 80 / early 90's ifs and its got a 65" wms

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member