Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9.8 inch "Short Deck" 540 BBC?....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

9.8 inch \"Short Deck\" 540 BBC?....

It seems like I've seen a couple of references to 540 Cu in motors based on the 9.8" deck height, even though traditionally a 540 uses the 10.2"....

I did a quick search and found an example of a short-block Merlin II on the World Products website that claims to do it with 9.8" deck. Is this because the block is their own design??? There is a book called "Chevy Rat Motors" that describes a short deck 540 by using pistons with a relocated wrist pin (presumably lowered to stay within the 9.8" limit?)...anyway, they are interesting claims but who knows if it's all just mega-$$$ one-off stuff, or achievable by mortal men!? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a Gen V 454 complete (intake to oilpan) that I'm about to tear into and build into "something"....I'd love to do a 540 if it's possible, but with my limited knowledge so far, it seems like 496 is about as far as it will go.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Anybody want to give a few insights specific to a buildup based on the Gen V block???? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Re: 9.8 inch \"Short Deck\" 540 BBC?....

i dont know n e thing about the 9.8" deck, but we used to take the 540 blocks and turn them into some badass 555cu.in. engines /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NITRO

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go get you a tall deck block. You can buy a kit from SCAT that will make it in to a 538 I think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I was origionally researching I found that you cannot make a 540 from a stock 454 block, not enough material to remove... I was going to buy a World block to make it, a std. deck height block. If you go with a tall deck, why not build a 632? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I ended up going 496. Used a 2 bolt main block and converted it to splayed 4 bolt with the kit from Milodon. All the parts are in the living room waiting to go in /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's the quote that got this whole idea started:

"Max Performance Chevy Rat Motors" by Ed Staffel p.51:

"In a short deck block the longest sort of practical stroke length is around 4.25". With a 6.385" (+.250") rod length and an aftermarket piston with a pin height of 1.290", you get the 9.8" total deck height of the short deck blocks. With a bore of 4.500" this will give you a 540.7 cubic inch motor with a rod ratio of 1.5-1."

Any takers on this one??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Merlin does make thier own blocks. way back in the late 90's, they were the first to go over 800 cubes in a commerically availible motor (840 CI)

Tall decks give more clearence to run bigger cranks (strokes) and the Merlin blocks give more material to bore it out.

Generally, .060 over is all you can get out of most production blocks, giving you a 468 with a traditional 454. Once you start stroking a BBC, things get interesting. Joey Yokomata ran Pro Street Shoot Out with a 540 back in the day, and that was a low-buck way to make big power (he was on NAAAAAAWWWSSS, his NO2 backfire made the cover of Hot Rod, IIRC)

So 540 can be done, but it takes a 502 BBC block (Gen VI, i think) machined to accept a 4.5" stroke.

I've never heard of a Gen V able to get 540 CI. You've got to run a Merlin or Bow-Tie block from what i've seen.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The most you can easily take a Gen V 454 block out to is 496". that is a 4.25" stroke, 4.310" bore (bored .060" over). You can also easily get a 540 with a 502 Block (std. bore is 4.500") and a 4.25" stroke..

When building a Gen V block, you must be careful...Most parts that fit a Gen VI also fit a GenV (oil pan/gasket, rear main, crank (keep in mind one-piece rear main). The biggest theing with a GenV is that the heads are very unique...you can use Gen VI heads on a Gen V block, but you CAN'T use a Mark IV head on a Gen V block, unless you use a special head gasket)

I just got done rebuilding my Gen V 454...I bored it out .030". I decided to keep it 454 inches for now, but I am planning on a 496 stroker kit, Edelbrock heads and Edelbrock ProFlo MPFI...

There are a number of options for the crank just get a GenV/GenVI 4.25" stroke crank with one-piece rear main

Get some 6.385" rods, and some flat top (or domed depending on heads) pisotns and you have a mean 496 short block

Shawn Spickler has a 496" with Edelbrock 6045 heads and a Holley MPFI...its putting out over 500hp..

You can get complete rotating assemblies from places like www.flatlanderracing.com

I like Eagle products for the great product/great price factor (I have there H-beam rods in my BBC) but Crower and Scat and Callies and Oliver all make very nice and very expensive stuff...

Chris