Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9 in lift and 44's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85gmcOD, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 85gmcOD

85gmcOD Registered Member

was wondering how much cutting would be involved with a setup like this.... 9in lift and 44 in boggers .... the front axle is moved up an 1 1/2" in the process i am very tempted to taper the front end also... any tips on tapering would be awsome.. maybe some pics.. its a 85 pickup and 350 sb .. movin the fan and such owuldnt be a deal breaker for me either.. thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You will have 2 issues with the 44's your turning radius will be less because the tires will hit the frame when turned full lock.
    And they will hit the firewall if you don't massage it some more.
    You can also move the axle forward to help with the firewall clearance.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you wont have to cut all that much. im running 9" and 40s. move the front axle forward more if you can, it will make life easier

4. 85gmcOD

im already runnin the axle up an 1 1/2 in.... should i do more ... i figure ill cure my rust problem aand get to run bigger tires.. i got all the beefy **** for it... the firewall seems pretty far away.. i guess with 33'' tires it makes for an optical illusion..

do u think id be better off with just runnin 39.5's
    thanks

5. 85gmcOD

in the rear i was plannnin on puttin the springs in backwards.. i got 56'' springs with a 6 in lift.. if i reverse them id be able to move the rear axle back 2 or so inches ... any problems with doing that?

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Moving th erear axle might put it into the edge of the fender but you can easily trim that one, you will need to anyway to stuff a 44"
    As for a different size, if you stick with 42 or under, some of the frame and firewall interferences are less to non existing.

7. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

im on 7.5" lift and 44's move your axle far forward as you can with your steering and plan on tubing teh firewall and building some inner fenders if you plan on pulling some good flex

8. muddybuddy

mine is moved forward 1.5" with zero-rates currently. once i swap in my 56's up front, im going to remove the zero-rate, so the axle will be 2.5" forward from stock. if you were going to run 44's it would be perfect to move your axle 4" forward if you could (52's/56's up front + zero-rate). im running 39.5 iroks and i wish i had gone with 42's...but i guess thats how it always goes. looks like youve got some decent axles so its completely up to you as to what size. personally im not going to go bigger than a 42.

9. 85gmcOD

im not worried about the fenders and inner fenderwells i was plannin on using 1/2 in emt and sheetmetal but thats a ways down the road for me... the only thing that would be a huge problem for me is the firewall. and doors that im cuttin.. do u have any pictures of ur front end or anything to give me an idea. thanks and nice peice of machinery i like the huge tire and flex.. kinda what i wanna go for

10. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

if you go in my photogallery i have some pics of teh front .. but ill try and find some more .. im still in process of tubing my firewall but one side is cut out already

11. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

not meaning to hijack... but how is that d44 handiling those 44's?????

12. 85gmcOD

i got a dana 60 with 35 spline axleshafts ... the 10 bolt was the first thing to go.. its a 3/4 ton frame with a 1 ton drivetrain.

13. muddybuddy

hes asking basing110, hes running a d44;)

14. 85gmcOD

15. 85gmcOD

sry bout that didnt realize.

16. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

haha dana 44 and 44s,

dont go offroad,lol

anyways im considering 42s.. whats the difference between them and 44 boggers

my truck is soon to be 454 465/206 and d6/14b
    its half way or more there:D

i want 44s because of the ground clearence, also aired down with beadlocks i hear they are 41ish tall.. and with 52s 63s.. it should be a good combo

4:88s recommended with that big of tire.. even with 450hp.?

17. 85gmcOD

sometimes the gearing shouldnt matter that much because u can always make it up in 4 lo depending on what kind of reduction u got... the only problem im lookin at is hittin the firewall.. so a longer spring is a real good idea and a better ride... a little to late for me tho... i just wanna get this thing runnin and then do as i need.. its been sittin to long

18. muddybuddy

4.88s should definitely be fine if your running a sm465, 450hp makes that even more livable.

my reasoning for not planning to run 44's is that they are significantly more than 42" iroks, and they also way to much more and put more stress on the d60 up front.

85, the only way you will really know is to have the tires actually there to test fit. given that you are running a decent amount of lift and an offset zero-rate you should be able to get away with the 44s w/o firewall problems.

19. 85gmcOD

i cant find ur pics... im new to the site and dont know how to get around it to well..

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status