Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 3\4 Ton Suburban with a Shackle flip?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by chvyhs, Dec 4, 2001.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

90 3\\4 Ton Suburban with a Shackle flip?

What is the better set up for towing a 8000lb trailer? I've been looking at blocks, lift springs, shackle flip, and add a leaf. I want to be able to tow and flex. What's going to be the best set up?

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 90 3\\4 Ton Suburban with a Shackle flip?

Really, the closer you keep it to stock the better off you'll be, but since that's kind of tough for us to do, I'd say use the flip kit, and maybe airbags or an overload spring setup to help keep it level and carry the trailer weight. If you went with the 4" flip, you could probably get away with a 2-3" lift in front and end up level or a bit tail high which would be nice.
    I've towed decent loads with my K5 on a 3" lift using blocks in the rear, but I did have a beefier spring pack also, so that helped. And the blocks weren't so great when I used it offroad. I also used RS9000 shocks so i could adjust them. You'll need to make sure you have at least a "D" load tire, if not an "E" tire for best stability.
    8K# is a pretty good load for a sub using a bumper pull (not huge, but not trivial either), so you do need to pay attention to the details like tires, keeping it as level as possible, maybe brake upgrades, etc.
    I'd say you need a backup load system of some sort to help carry the load, that way you can run a relatively soft spring and still haul OK.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've got a rear reciever and trailer brakes. Right now I plan on replacing th 14bolt semi floater with a full floater for the brakes. My biggest load is other CK5'ers on my car trailer. I want to keep things stable and still be able to hit a few of the trails with them. Thanks

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

this is all i found under sub flip search and didnt wanna make a repeat post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have just made our 87 V20 (3/4 4x4) sub 6" lifted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif well, rear 6" springs are rediculously priced and wanna know if the stories are true about the sub flip sway? my k5 is 4" and home torch flipped and seems stable, but a sub is another story.. and ORD flip price?

5. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this is all i found under sub flip search and didnt wanna make a repeat post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have just made our 87 V20 (3/4 4x4) sub 6" lifted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif well, rear 6" springs are rediculously priced and wanna know if the stories are true about the sub flip sway? my k5 is 4" and home torch flipped and seems stable, but a sub is another story.. and ORD flip price?

[/ QUOTE ]
    dont all jump in at once /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Stephen

I'm not too familiar with the sway problems associated with the flip specifically, any lift you do is going to raise the CG and when that happens you get increased body roll. I'm looking at mounting my shocks farther outboard on my 'burb to fight the body roll, and you may want to look into adding a rear swaybar to help keep it under control. Good shocks go a long way toward making it more comfortable, I put a set of the MX6's on the burb just recently and have been pretty happy with them.
    I don't see any problems with what you're trying to do, you just need to make sure and mind all the details like I've lined out before. You may want to look into a 4" lifted spring to go with the 4" flip, or you'll have to run a short block to keep the ride height matching the front. It looks like that's the biggest decision you're going to have to make.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've been considering a 2 or 4" flip with a 2 or 4" lift spring for a total of 6". I think that will keep things stable.

8. Stephen

Sounds to me like you're on the right track.