Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'90 3500 front hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by velocitiii, Mar 15, 2004.

1. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

\'90 3500 front hubs

I'm looking at a 1 ton PU for sale and was wondering if anyone knows if the hubs on this truck lock automatically or if I can get manual hubs? Also how hard is it to put new cv boots on before the old ones go away?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: \'90 3500 front hubs

A 90 1 ton should still be a straight axle truck. I believe those didn't change until 92 like the Suburban and K5, so there shouldn't be any CV boots to change.

And if it has hubs from the factory they could be auto's but changing over to manual hubs isn't hard or expensive at all.

3. velocitiii

Thats what I thought before I went to lok at it, but it has an independant front end. Maybe its not really a 3500? It does have the big block in it.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cab/Chassis and Crew Cabs (4 doors) are straight axle for sure. There were 8 lug IFS trucks already I believe. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It depends on what body configuration it is that determines if it's IFS or not. A STD cab or extra cab 3500 will be a "K" series with IFS (looks like a Z71). A cab & chassis or 4 door truck will be a "V" series and have a straight axle (and look like an 85 truck).

The K3500 with IFS will not have any hubs nor the ability to add them. The IFS uses an axle disconnecting system inboard by the diff, the bearing hubs are always locked to the cv axles.

6. velocitiii

ahh, that makes sence as it was a standard cab and bed. anyone know what diff gears those things had with the 4 spd and 454?