Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90-91 Power Mirror Wiring Diagram

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by transcore1, Apr 23, 2003.

1. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

Just bought new power mirrors for my 89', got them new from GM and I also got the switch. The mirrors were only available on 90-91 Blazers and Suburbans. They discontinued the harness and I can't find any diagrams to hard wire them.
    Anybody have any info on this...........

Thanks
    Scott Transcore Blazer Project

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I will look at my GM electrical schematic tonight and see if I can't get a scan to you...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. transcore1

I'd appreciate it. That is ONE of my weekend projects I would like out of the way.

Thanks
    Scott
    Transcore Blazer Project /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

A pic is worth a thousand words.. here\'s 400

not that i can translate the diagram to english... nor am i an electrician... and the scanner won't handle this size... but here's a few goodies extracted...
    in the right door, there's 4 wires (up/down left/right)appears to be a plug-in to the mirrors themselves. the flexy stuff where the door opens to door openings, a bushing/grommet thru that bulkhead, and back under dash.
    A whte/blk (881.5), yel/blk(888.5) lt blu/blk (82.5) and lt blu/blk (82.5). the 'facing' view of that connector would be 888-82 on top row; 881-82 on bottom row.
    inside the bulkhead those 3 wires connect into a 6 wire connector (this is shared with the power door locks, so maybe it'll be present). Top row, as viewed in diagram, shows circuit 294/295 (locks) and the 888.5, 82.8 and 881.5 circuts passing thru. this is a 2 wide, 3 row connector as displayed, with top 2 the locks, the (door side) outter is 888 (yel/blk) and bottom row is 881 / 82 circuits (white/blk & lt blu/black respectively (putting blu/black below the yhel/blk wires).
    (if this ain't lost you yet, nothing will!).
    The harness appears to run across under the dash and pickup it's power (circuit 40.5/orn) via a 3 amp in line fuse. THe fused circuit starts as 640-1/orn off the fuse block (facing the fuse block, it's the 20A T/L CTSY circuit. NOTE - THIS IS A HOT AT ALL TIMES CIRCUIT!) Ground comes from the 150.5/blk wire and proceeds to the bus-bar ground (NFI where that is, but somewhere along the way it also picks up the ground from the power windows... ).

Upstream, headed to the drivers door, there's another 6 wire connector. this one appears to be 3 wide, 2 deep and as facing the L-Door side of it, would have the Lt blu/blk, yel/blk and white/blk circuits (82-8, 888-5, 881-5) on the top row. Bottm is the 150-5/blk and 40.5 orn wires. the bottom right is not used in this display.
    Outbound of that connector (hopefully if you have P/W and P/L, some of this is present).... it heads to the drivers side grommet.
    Similary, the mirror head itself has 82/88/81/82 circuits on it and these come back to the switch.
    The switch shows a 2 row of 4 connector. the circuits across it are 40 - 81 - 82 - 88 on the top.
    bottom is circuits 150 - 881 - 82 - 888 (i left the colors off as i believe we hit 'em all earlier).
    I know this sounds confusing as all he!!, but they're probably better read (and more understandable with a 12 pack!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Let me know if i can be of further assistance!

5. Burbinator

I was able to scan the diagram for you, however it took four scans due to its size. You should be able to print out the four and couple them together for a complete diagram. The images themselves are at 2316 X 1648 resolution, so they should provide excellent detail. These diagrams are from the 1991 R/V, P model diagram manual.

Here are the links:
    Diagram 1
    Diagram 2
    Diagram 3
    Diagram 4

Hope these help!

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Transcore.... keep us posted on how this goes. I know there's a couple of us interested in the mirrors, but may not have thought it through the full distance! (or at least I've wanted 'em, and coming to realize they're a tad pricey!).
    Wondering what other headaches one gets adding them after the fact...
    Thanks!

7. transcore1

Thanks, BURBINATOR, and WOODY9 I appreciate the effort.
    B.S. Problem #1, The holes are in the wrong place on the door. I have a 150+++ hours in my paint and I will probably have to repaint the doors to make this work. I couldn't even beleive it when I took the mirrors out of the box. My parts guy at the dealer told me it was a bolt on. Shows what they know about early trucks!!!!I am thinking about casting that part of the door in fiberglass and making a base about 1/4" thick and painting it to match the door. Then I could mount the new mirror on that base and be done with it. I hope to not let it kick my ass, but it is not looking good so far. I found a 91 Buick Roadmaster Wally Wagon at the Junk Yard that has all the harnesses in it that I think will plug into the switch and the mirror. I'll just have to hard wire the portion I need and shorten or lengthen it to fit. So far I am $334.00 into it and just getting started. If you think this sounds like fun my next project is adding a secound remote A/C unit under the back seat to help chill the beast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Scott

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM made 2 different styles of power mirrors for our rigs in 1990. The black ones mount higher and further back on the door than the non-power mirrors did. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Take a look at the ThunderBus link on my web page. There are pics of my 1990 Sub that has power mirrors, but they mount and look like the non-power mirrors. So a set like that would bolt directly to the holes that are already in your doors. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't know how rare they are though, as I have seen other 1990 Suburbans that have the later style black power mirrors. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

That's the type of mirrors i'd want to put on mine! (no extra hassel with mounting 'em!!).
    Harry, where do you park that at? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Harry, where do you park that at?

[/ QUOTE ]
    In Colorado. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The outer part of those mirrors is a chrome plated plastic. One housing is cracked and the chrome is bubbling on the other side. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

almost sounds like you WANT me to take 'em so's the insurance can buy you bright shinney new ones? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Probably wouldn't take many clues... Spent 22 years in the springs! Heck, i remember when Powers dead-ended @ Barnes!

12. HarryH3

I'd be surprised if they're even available from GM any more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Burbinator

Hey Jim...

...there is a slight possibility that my '91 will be up for sale in a few weeks. You could just buy it and have the factory power mirrors with no effort!!!

14. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

but it seems yours are the 'OTHER' style.. not like the factory style?????? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Hmmmm, but it is 3/4 ton..............
    and it is a southern truck........

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    a slight possibility, eh? (i'm not ready for another, but.. gee, that's a nice truck and i like the colors mo' betta than mine!!)

15. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Man, you rule. I just started tearing down my '91 burb and was trying to find info on wiring the mirrors up in my '86. Lucky for me I have a harness just sitting there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for posting the diagrams. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Burbinator

My mirrors are indeed factory. If I recall, my style was offered only in '91, but possibly '90 as well (as an option). My truck is one of the few 100% intact stock trucks around...and ZERO rust anywhere...have to love AZ!

I will keep everyone posted of my official decision to sell/not sell in a few weeks.

17. Burbinator

No problem...glad to help.

I have the entire manual portfolio for the 1991 Suburban (which includes Blazers/Jimmys), so if you need anything, let me know!

18. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

better yet, you've got a scanner that will handle such a kritter! (mine semi-sucks!!) Those books are great, eh?
    Amen to southern trucks! Mine came outta Tejas, intended to live in the Rockies, but got side-tracked here to Wis! Not a lot going wrong with it yet. keep it washed/rinsed in winter, and a good coat of wax on it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif