Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 burb 1500 handling issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bcrewcaptain, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

Just picked up a 90 last month and looking on improving a few things as far as handling, right now the steering is pretty sloppy and the thing rolls like the boat it is.l'm not gonna lift it, plan on keeping the stock height, I have noticed the bushing up front are in rough shape so I guess a JC whitney kit will help that. Would a new steering stabilizer help a lot as well? even a double?I have seen those advestized. How about a rear sway bar as well? Also the rear sags a bit so I've been thinking about helping that out a bit, would a add a leaf or air adjustables be a better bet? right now I dont plan on towing anything, just loading it up once in a while for trips to the beach. But I'm not ruling out towing a small camper later down the road. I know its a lot of questions but I want to do it cheap as possible but make sure the thing stays in the lane I choose :D

Thanks in advance!

2. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

Check your upper and lower ball joints, and all the tie rod ends.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I like to check everything else before putting on a new steering stabilizer... they usually just cover up any exsisting problems, and when dealing with steering or brakes, it's best to fix it right than to cover up the problem.

4. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

well I know from looking that several of the bushings could surely use replacing, so I guess thats a start, and then move on to balljoints and such, I know its a lot of truck and is not gonna handle like my other vehicles, but I'd like the ability to stay in the same lanes I started in... :D
    thanks for everyones help so far!

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

get a helper and check out everything..
    -rag joint (have the helper move the wheel slightly back & forth and watch the play @ the steering box/rag joint.
    - is the box loose @ frame?
    *-is the slop in the box? (if slight, there's a write-up somewhere on here about a SLIGHT adjustment that can be made... too much however, and it'll smoke the steering box!!!)*
    - is the frame torn/worn/etc @ the mounting locations
    - have the helper again move wheel gentlely back & forth. watch @ the drag link (this is where mine was bad last time i thought it was tooo bad). Check/watch/feel BOTH ends of it...
    - with the helper, again move back & forth and watch the tie-rod end(s).
    - Jack up front axle. see if you can wiggle wheel top/bottom. you're checking if the wheel bearings are a tad loose.
    - you may need a cheater-bar (crow-bar or wide flat board), but try and lift tire up when it's slightly off the ground. that'll give you an idea if the ball joints are loose.....

sounds like you've already checked the bushings...

My 91 is just getting broke in now (205,000) so i'm working my way through replacing most of this stuff myself....

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005