Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 Burb 1500 rear suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bcrewcaptain, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

As it is now the back end has a little sag to it, need to bring that back up especially since I plan on towing a travel trailer with it. Whats the best route for this to still maintain a "decent" ride?
    Replacement springs and shocks?Airbags to assist when towing? Seems like few people are happy with the helper spring route.
    Any have pics of the rear spring?by chance, mine appears to be nearly flat, I'll take some pics tonight but trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for, to increase handling as well as knock out this droop as well...
    HEEEELP!
    thanks in advance
    Jeff

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

ORD Zero rates or some small blocks from Auto Zone. Mine are nearly flat as well. The flatter the spring, generally, the better the ride.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I used. Works great.

4. bcrewcaptain

how bad will the zeros kill the ride?its not bad now, stock height and 31" tires on it, will they help with the trailer weight as well?
    sorry for the dumb questions

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are just 1" blocks. They don't affect the ride at all. They fit nicely below the spring pack, are pinned in and you will never know that they are there.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i took two leaves from another set of 56's i had, and installed them in with the stock pack, raised it back up, and rides better as well, not so "soft" but not harsh

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I replaced the stock, sagging 1/2-ton springs in my '90 Sub with springs from a 3/4-ton pickup. I replaced the plastic anti-friction sliders at the ends of each leaf before installing them, so they still ride decent.

8. bcrewcaptain

to those that have replaced the springs, are you using old springs or new ones?Just trying to weigh all the options here

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My 3/4-ton springs were junkyard specials. Every 1/2-ton Suburban that I saw already had sagging springs. :mad:

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Might consider air bags. Burbs are heavy in the ass to begin with. Load em up and they are down right saggy. Add some tongue weight and then.. you get the idea.

I would say go with air bags if you want to maintain your ride quality. Air em up when you need em, air em down when your just cruising empty.