Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 burb wheel hop???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmoney, Jan 23, 2007.

1. dmoney

dmoney 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 burb that has a wierd shake when I first take off, it doesnt do it every time I take off, which makes it hard to nail down. It feels like what I heard of as axel wrap, it feels like wheel hop in my old mustang when I spun the wheels. the pre owner said the tranny was built a little while before I got it so it was not the tranny. I just put a 6 in lift on and it made no diffarence, which brings me to my next question, I put a rough country lift on springs front, helper spring and 4in block back. The pass side rear sits 1 and3\4 inch lower than the driver rear. I checked to make sure every thing was the same. Do you think the springs are no good. or should I check something else. the rear has the usual sag, how much have smoe of you added to the rear to level it out?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you inspect the springs in the rear? Maby you have a broken/weak spring. That will cause one side to sit lower. Also Blocks will amplify any problems with axle wrap. Maby getting rid of the blocks a new set of springs in the rear will cure the problem.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Are you sure its wheel hop? I have seen a few trucks(mine included) that the 241 tcase slaps the underside of the tub. Kinda under the passenger front seat. Kind of a thump-thump-thump-thump noise?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Worn splines in the rear driveshaft slip joint can cause that feeling also. The driveshaft binds as the shaft spins, then the rotation of the rear axle housing overcomes the binding and you feel a sudden lurch. Sometimes it can be temporarily fixed by greasing the splines with moly lube, but the ultimate fix is to replace the splined end of the shaft. :(

5. dmoney

dmoney 1/2 ton status

sounds like it could be the splines, how do I inspect them? This is my first 4x4, I have built a ton of other car so I am not afraid to tear in to something.The spring where not broken or anything visually wrong, so I think they are just worn out. so which will i get the best ride with as far as raising the back? this is a dailly driver and I dont do any hardcore wheeling yet

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Make sure your u-bolts are tight and check the condition of your u-joints.

7. dmoney

dmoney 1/2 ton status

i checked all that last week when I put the lift on...

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Check your u-bolts again, they loosen up. Especially with blocks.

9. dmoney

dmoney 1/2 ton status

ill check them again, but this has been doing this since i bought it almost a yearago...

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

have you ever changed the ujoints?

11. dmoney

dmoney 1/2 ton status

no not yet.